where do 300SMK`s like to be seated?

groper

My 338-300RUM is finished and now im just wondering where to start on how far off the lands to seat the 300smk for load development? My rifle has a deeper throat than Shawn`s 338edge, my rifle runs 3.900" COAL to just kiss the lands...

Ive tried seaching but surprisingly not much comes about this subject...

I got the wyatts mag box for my 338 EDGE and my rounds are loaded at 3.780" w/the 300g smk.. I use it as a repeater. Got a box of 225g AB's and once again, I can load them out to 3.780" and there not touching the lands that I"m aware of.

I just loaded them to the longest the mag would allow and thats where they I started load and stopped load testing.

I only tried 2 loads w/300g SMK, the standard 92 and 93g H1000 w/cci 250. 92g showed better ES so I went with it. Both loads shot 1/2 MOA.

I think Shawn has stated that anywhere from 3.660" (standard 700 mag length) out to around as long as 4" and they all still shot great. Not one length was ever any better then the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.