Where did that bullet go?

gamedog

Took a good shot at a coyote this weekend deer hunting. I ranged him @ 288 yards standing broadside. Easy shot eh? Well there was a honest 25-30 mph headwind. I"m shooting 180 gr Barnes TSX's @ 3200 fps. I aimed right on the boiler room and he zipped off like his tail was on fire. Any idea's what that head wind would do to the trajectory of that bullet? It could of been a complete pass through, but I thought that bullet would pile him up good. Here's a photo of a doe I shot @ 408 yards.
powderriver07028.jpg

Gamedog

I am assuming you did not hit the coyote and you never recovered a corpse? (your post isnt clear) This being the case I would suggest your lead wasp may have gone over him. I read somewhere that even tho you have a tail wind or a head wind the bullet may not drift off to the left or right but may drift up or down :eek:

Probably stating the obvious but was your settings on the scope correct?

Wind can do the most amazing things in the field and at home (Just ask my missus :D :D :D )

HP

25-30mph head wind? And you're sure you broke the shot clean. Does your rifle weigh 62lbs? You 600lbs?

Next thought would be, was there any incline for that headwind to to push up or down?

Gamedog

I am assuming you did not hit the coyote and you never recovered a corpse? (your post isnt clear) This being the case I would suggest your lead wasp may have gone over him. I read somewhere that even tho you have a tail wind or a head wind the bullet may not drift off to the left or right but may drift up or down :eek:

Probably stating the obvious but was your settings on the scope correct?

Wind can do the most amazing things in the field and at home (Just ask my missus :D :D :D )

HP
I didn't find any signs of connecting on the coyote. I've got my rifle zero'd at 300 yards. I was reading Shawn Carlocks article on wind and it's sounds like the shot probably elevated over the coyote.:confused: It's tough for me to see a bullet not dropping with that much headwind.

Grit, here is a photo of the area I was hunting here in Montana. We had a cold front come in that brought very high winds with it.
powderriver07009.jpg
I felt very comfortable with this shot (good rest & set-up time) and that's what baffels me.

Last edited:
GD,

I would bet a fair amount of $ you shot over it. Lets take a look at this:
You were zeroed for 300 and shot at 288
You held top of back.
You were shooting across a draw and that means at least some of the shot was effected by a lifting headwind coming up the face you were shooting from.
Even if this was only 75-100 yards up a 45 degree face look at the wind drift you get for 100 yards 1/2 value @ 25 mph.
You aimed at the top of its back and with the distance and you zero distance it is possible to have shot over it even without this effect in place.
Pretty safe money you shot high.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.