When weighting cases what is acceptable range?

I follow some of the people here but I have done experiments with what does the best. here is why I shoot and resize all brass before I segregate into weight lots.
first, the first firing will stretch the brass at different rates. so what might have been your heaviest case could be somewhere around your lowest weight now.
okay before segregating I would full length size, trim to a uniform length, true the necks, set flash hole size and center, set uniform primer pickets. all shave a bit of brass off the weight. now segregate the cases into weights groups. I use .2 grains for my 1,000 target loads. I use .5 grains for my long range hunting loads. I use 1 grain for my hunting loads. I also have friends that I routinely trade with for brass of similar weights and brand. we all use the same routine to prep brass. some of my friend love lighter brass, some love the heavier brass.

New question along this same premise.
If weighing cases for volume of water does head stamp matter or is it OK to mix them?
Darrell
Based on everyone's responses I'm probably the odd man out, but once I've uniformed my cases and if they have the same number of firings and I'm planning on annealing and trimming I'll mix cheaper brass. I have 308 rem, fed, and hornady with a smattering of cop brass mixed together. I keep my lapua brass separate but since uniforming flash holes and annealing I never see any difference on the target. Actually at the last match I took some of menagerie of 308 brass and it performed just as well as my lapua. And don't get me wrong, if I'm buying new I'm buying lapua or Peterson if they make it but the others can be made to work

Clean, trim to length, clean primer pockets and debur flash holes and then weigh, I come up with a good average (batches of atleast 50) and Kick out light extremes and heavy extremes, bag them separately and mark the weights for later. I tend to come up with about 42 out of 50 that are acceptable for long range hunting. You can go to extremes but I do not shoot matches so......JMO

While weighing volume of H2O in some 30-06 cases I found as much as a 5 grain difference all from the same headstamp. Most were in a lower 65-66gr range and then another set in the 69-70 gr range. Sort of like finding a node with a smattering of other weights in between.
These all have the F C 30-06 SPRG I assume Federal Cartridge from the military.

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.