When is enough, enough.....

Hello everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Thinking I should have taken the blue pill...
each man get into reloading for different reasons some for long range perfection and some to save money on ammo if you plink a lot and a few that just dont have but a few freinds they hunted with and of coarse ex military who's brothers in arm's are no longer there or are distant and rarely get together as much as they would like too. don't go buying no more than what you need ,you will have fun and still have freinds right here to listen and share new things in how shooting brings us together as brothers and freinds.

Hello everyone,
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

You will never find a stopping point in your reloading. If you do then it's time to start over

It seems there is no end but my wife would disagree lol. This very subject came up bout a week back not a bad back just a week ago anyway she was working out in the basement and unfortunately I left the safe open not only was she surprised on how much I had accumulated over the years she found my cash stash. After a discussion I told her how I acquired this by trading and selling things I didn't use I also tried to get her to do the same when she wants new shoes or a purse she should sell and trade what she has well as you probably guessed there wasn't an agreement so now I double check and make sure the safe is locked lol 🤕
LOL. A slight take off on that was when we were in Costco and the bill was higher than our debit card maximum, I, unthinkingly, opened my wallet's stash and pulled out a hundred dollars to cover the bill. Boy, then the questions started.

There no insight. Just keep adding. You can stop doing research or quest, which would probable stop the purchasing reloading equipment. If you like what happening on the target and velocity. I would say you are where you need to be. The problem with me, I kept wanting tighter groups, and even velocity. So I buy, I buy with some miss steps along the way too. A long timer ago I was having barrel change out, and having rifles built for me. I have done about as good with rifle out of the box with hand loads, with nothing done except for trigger work. So a lot of it I feel is reloading and all rifle are not the same either. To make a more perfect group it takes all to get it done. You learn new tricks, and you buy more equipment or better equipment.
Where you stop who knows.
With this group I have learn a lot or a better understand about what I was doing. "THANKS TO ALL"

It seems there is no end but my wife would disagree lol. This very subject came up bout a week back not a bad back just a week ago anyway she was working out in the basement and unfortunately I left the safe open not only was she surprised on how much I had accumulated over the years she found my cash stash. After a discussion I told her how I acquired this by trading and selling things I didn't use I also tried to get her to do the same when she wants new shoes or a purse she should sell and trade what she has well as you probably guessed there wasn't an agreement so now I double check and make sure the safe is locked lol 🤕
Lol! Few years ago I was hunting and the wife called my cell and asked for the combination since she needed one of the kids birth certificates. Big mistake.

About a month ago she went back to the safe for her passport. She came out of there with a new appreciation of my handgun collection. She asked why I needed all nine (she missed the other half dozen). Told her Dad had just given me four so I really only had three of my own. She just threw her hands up in the air and uttered a few made up words.

I need to find the instructions for changing the code. 😡

She gave up on the rifles. I've got about forty. Traded for some, sold some to fund others. Have 4 6.5x55s, 3 7x57s, etc, etc. Have sold another 30-40 over my lifetime.

👍🇺🇲

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

"where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. You're a guy, it's your DNA, therefore, shortly after your last heartbeat.....

Hello everyone,

There's a line?

Been loading since 1985 for factory rifles after chasing the reloading equipment for a few years I went to chasing custom barrels on factory actions after a few barrels I went to custom rifles
I reckon my point you can't expect small groups by just reloading ammo you have to look at everything your rifle and your ability to shoot off a bench I got buddies that can shoot free handed and kill everything but can't shoot a five shot group off a bench