What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Well to put them in order .308 30.06 and my bow. Almost got 1 with the bow 2 years ago on Xmas eve morn in a snow storm on snow shoes a 1 1/2 feet or better O did I say in MN. 40Y broad side wind in my face he had no clue I was there. I was deer hunten didnt shoot. I was on fed. land not leagel DAM. Back to rifles A little help here. 7.62 cal starting to build a round thinking about 110gr for both? Or I could take them off there paws and remove there rib's on the back side with 1 of three 54 cal's muzzle stufers

Last edited:
I have been using a Remington Sendero VSSF II in 220 swift and I love that gun. My new favorite is my 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform. The 100 gr ballistic tips do a number on the yotes.

this year my rack of coyote guns is full of all kinds of cool cartridges. 223 WSSM (topped off with 55 and 60 grain V-max), 22 Hornet (33 grain Speer Gold Dot), 17 Remington (20 and 25 grain V-max), 257 Roberts (non-Ackley improved topped off with 75 grain V-max), 270 Winchester (115 grain V-max).

my fave coyote loads are the 17 Rem and 22 Hornet... getting them in closer than 50 yards means that I do not have to have a hide punishing gun like the 257 and the 270... the coyotes this year have been no more than 25 yards from me when I have shot. the 17 and the hornet have been one shot DOA's. if they stop before the get 100 yards from me.. the 223 WSSM will start being employed and then if they stop before 200 yards, the 257 and the 270 will be employed.. but until such time.. the 17 and the hornet will be my go to rifles. I will be looking for a 22-250 and a 223 Rem over the winter to rebuild for next season. you just can not have enough varmint/predator guns. besides the 257 and the 270 are also awesome deer, and medium game rounds too.. so these can pull double duty. anything bigger will go for bigger game and the big bores are all 1,000 yard target guns.
good hunting this year to all.
gun)
the gunsmith is out to go play with the 'Yotes...
Hey how does the .270 load work, my nephew has one and he wants to use it when we go coyote hunting how is the pelt damage, and how com you did not use the 110 load???

CZ 527 in .204 Ruger, 26" barrel, 12" twist, Hornady 45 grain SP

It is a death ray, shoots flat, hits as hard as a .22-250 at long range, and you can see bullet strikes in your scope, so you can compensate and walk the bullets into your target.

No time for taking a rangefinder reading when you jump out of a pickup for a shot at a running coyote. The ability to spot bullet strikes in your scope cannot be underestimated.

But mostly it kills prairie dogs as we are overrun with those.

Re: What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes? My caliber of choice is 243 winchest

I've been using a .223, but have had several "runners" that I've had a hard time recoverying. So, I decided to go with a caliber that would have a little more knock-down power and purchased a Stevens .25-06. I'm still putting the reloading materials together, so I've not had a chance to shoot it at the range or hunt with it, yet. Based on ballistics, this rifle should be the "Hammer of Thor". :D

What's your caliber of choice, for hunting coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

My caliber of choice is 243 win With a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tip 24055 they are around 3658 MV and do a great job for me. out to about 350 yards. Knocks them dead in a flash.

Thank's Mark Sr

My favorite is .243 Winchester with 87 grain vmax and 37.5-38.0 Varget. May be a little warm so start out 10% lower and make sure safe in your gun. this is out of several custom .243's and a tikka. All 1x10 twists. My middle son shot 2 coyotes with one shoot last year when they lined up side by side about 100 yards. He didnt hit bone on the closest one and got the second one too. If you hit bone it will make a BIGGGGGGG hole! the same son shot a bobcat at around 150 yards and didn't hit bone, hole in, just a slightly larger hole out. He is having it mounted. 87 vmax is ok when you want to save pelt if you place shot most of the time!:D

I just started fire forming brass for my new 6mm turbo 40 AI. Only using 28 grains of Varget and some old 85 grain Sierras, but quite impressive groups so far. It will take the bulls eye out of a 6mm br target at the 200 yard range. Can't wait to see what it will do with a 100-105 grain Burger, and some different powder!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts