Anyone switch to a larger caliber for coyotes?

Last year with the wind so bad I found myself using my 25-06 more often then usual propelling the standby 100gr. smk. But.... they really do blow big holes in coyotes. I switched to 75 gr. Hornady Vmax in March and had 3 very dead shoulder shot coyotes that were really mushy with no exit. I have found that foxes are a mess with anything bigger then a 40 gr BT in my 223.

No, not really. The .338 with 300's work well for me.:D

Jeff

I am with Jeff... 300 SMK seems ample if you can make a good shot on them :Dgun)
2011-07-20061849.jpg

I know this thread is kind of old, but I finally had a chance to hit one with a 185 grain Berger at 245 yards. It was pretty much what I expected other than he managed to flip around for 15 seconds before he realized he was dead.

This shows the chunks that came off him at impact.
P1000525.jpg

And this shows just how much damage the Bergers do to poor little coyotes.
P1000530.jpg

Last edited:
Good Lord, Bl1. Looks like you have some sewing time ahead of you. Were those Target or Hunting Bergers? I don't want my deer and elk to look like that when I'm done. I'd say good nuff for yotes though!

Good Lord, Bl1. Looks like you have some sewing time ahead of you. Were those Target or Hunting Bergers? I don't want my deer and elk to look like that when I'm done. I'd say good nuff for yotes though!

They are the hunting bullets. We've shot two elk with them with phenomenal results and I'll be using them again on my cow elk hunt in two weeks. The "delayed, then violent expansion" Berger claims you'll get seems to hold true and it just tore this coyote to pieces. On bigger animals like elk they destroy everything inside and then leave a fairly small exit hole, or no exit hole at all depending on where you hit them and the distance of the shot.

Nailed one last weekend with a 7mag. 168 Berger H VLD at a bit over 300 yards and my results were similar to BL1's pics earlier. We were shooting for our drop tables and the yote just walked out, sniffed our target and started to trot off. Like most coyotes, she stopped to look back and I blew her a kiss she'll never get over. :D

They are the hunting bullets. We've shot two elk with them with phenomenal results and I'll be using them again on my cow elk hunt in two weeks. The "delayed, then violent expansion" Berger claims you'll get seems to hold true and it just tore this coyote to pieces. On bigger animals like elk they destroy everything inside and then leave a fairly small exit hole, or no exit hole at all depending on where you hit them and the distance of the shot.

Thanks for the info on your elk. I'm having a hard time finding a bullet that's as accurate as a Berger is but also won't waste a shoulder. I'm shooting a 140gr VLD out of a 6.5x284 and now the 300WSM is the new safe queen.

I use the 300wsm and 150g Sierria spitzers it does okay but remember E=MC2 and velocity in this equation is multiplied x4 This is the end result when all that speed transfers to a yote. The load was 42G of H414 and a 52G HPBT match bullet.

decemberyote001-1.jpg

I shot one about 2 weeks ago with my 300um while hog hunting. He was out at 480yds broad side. Hit hit wit 168gr e- tips at a muzzle velocity of 3500a fps. Was nasty. Don't recommend it if you want any fur other than ears or tail

I've went the opposite direction in Calibers...I was using my Browning A-bolt Hunter in a .243 and went with the 2 following Calibers that take down the Coyotes but leave them much "Prettier" and fur friendly if You want to save the hide or have it mounted plus it's going to be much easier on the fur/hide of smaller Predators if a Fox or Bobcat comes in while in Season! ;)

CZ Model 527 "Varmint" (longer,heavier barrel) in .204 shooting Federal loaded 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings.

Savage Axis XP Camo .223 Bolt action using Hornady 55 grain V-max bullets.

Future Rifle-Ruger American .22-250 Bolt action using Hornady V-max bullets or Federal Sierra Blitz Kings?

2nd Future Rifle-CZ Model 527 "American" .22 Hornet.

It's all about good shot placement and calling those Predators in close for a good shot! :D

I use a Model 10 Savage 308 / 4x to 16x 44 mm , 147 gr FMJ.... works really good and you can tell it was a yote after you shot it ,,,LOL Small hole but velocity and bullet energy anchored everyone of them I shot.

My other rifle is a 308 DPMS Oracle, 3x to 12 scope same bullet and this rifle is my night rifle for yotes, and its set up with, The Assassinator light system...gun)

I shot a couple with my 300 RUM and it made a believer out of me.

I whacked one @ 12yds with my 300 ultra shooting 180gr NBT handloads. It was quartering toward me. Literally blew the front right and rear left legs off and opened the chest and belly like a zipper. Good news I could've used the scrapes to patch my fur gloves

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.