What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

If you go back and read my post I said to 300 yards, never said 400.

Nope! I am not going to do that. My last response was not specifically directed toward you.

The majority of the people in this thread have given their opinion. You, KC7WRH, however I am convinced just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

And I learned long ago never to argue with a fool.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

In other words, I choose not to drag myself down to your level.

Nope! I am not going to do that. My last response was not specifically directed toward you.

The majority of the people in this thread have given their opinion. You, KC7WRH, however I am convinced just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

And I learned long ago never to argue with a fool.

In other words, I choose not to drag myself down to your level.

You confuse argumentation with taking a defending my stance.
If I was arguing then I would be telling you your choice sucks which I have not in fact I said they were fine choices, did I not.
I would not back off off of my choice of calibers and still stand by it that is no arguement but defending what I use.
If you go back and read all the post you may find out who is arguing and who is not.:)

That's the same caliber I use. If they require something bigger, then I bring out the big guns..............a 204.:)
at 300 yards in a 10 mph crosswind a 22-250 drifts about 12 in. so, your .17 drifts 2in. more than a 223. whoopee. i dont know any serious varmint hunter in competition events who will use a .223. i have killed many (about 25 this year) with a 223. guys who kill 200-400/year tell me i'm right. the 223 is marginal FOR COYOTES. they want head shots-more points- and they dont use a trail dog or want to spend the time trailing. i'm not talking about what you can kill one with. 40 odd years ago i would sneak up on coyotes laying in creekbeds in oct in south texas and drill them with a recurve ben pearson hunter. i've killed bobcats, mulies, w tail, elk, and bears with a bow. and hogs. i'm not talking about what is possible. we were talking best. i would love to see you nail a coyote in the head at 400 yds with a 17 but i aint holding my breath. im sure it would be great for deer and elk and hogs-in certain situations. i just dont normally have the luck to be in those situations. i'm sorry i gave my idea of what makes a good coyote gun.

I am thinking the jury is still out about your doctorate of dunceology.
Just so you understand I am not talking .17 hmr but a .17 Remington, just a bit of difference there.
If you have never shot or killed with a .17 Rem then I guess you read a lot of gun rags where the writers shoots long range and awesome groups from a key board!
It is either that or you do have a doctorate of dunceology.
gun)Shoot em where they live is what it takes but then again if you can't shoot then stay on the porch.
Have a good day keep studying, one day you will get your PHD!:D
kinda thin skinned there arent we? if you could read you would see that i never said you or anyone was a dunce. i merely said i wasn't. it sounds to me that you are implying i am not a dr. if that is the case i will be glad to take your bet. since you evidently are feisty i will also bet i have taken more 30 in muleys than you and more with a muzzleloader.

40 odd years ago i would sneak up on coyotes laying in creekbeds in oct in south texas and drill them with a recurve ben pearson hunter. i've killed bobcats, mulies, w tail, elk, and bears with a bow.

Did it look something like this?

37155_10100135707837435_23438853_55921683_7532160_n.jpg

And do something like this?

75124_10100149487363155_23438853_56186117_488041_n.jpg

H335. I don't remember the charge weight, and my notes and crap are at home, and I'm in Iraq.

You take care while being in Iraq. We can't wait to give you a big welcome home party when they bring you back home.

God Bless all our troops!

Did it look something like this?

37155_10100135707837435_23438853_55921683_7532160_n.jpg

And do something like this?

75124_10100149487363155_23438853_56186117_488041_n.jpg
yea, way to go ,bbbuut gas was 30 cents per gal. good shootin. i did loose a few before learning to sharpen the bear razorheads. hey, i have a genuine wing archery thunderbird 62" 48lb at 28in. but the arrows dont shoot straight without the m. drenaline and sights. Good fortune and God bless.

Most of the time I use my .22-.250 55grain BT. But soon I will be taking my .257 weatherby mag in the field with 87 garin SP.

Used the .223 and 5.45x39mm in AR's and enjoy them both, but my go to calling gun is a Rem 700 LH in 6x45mm with a 24" 1-10" Shaw barrel. The rifle is very accurate, with my two favorite loads being a 58gr VMAX an 29.0 grains Ramshot X-Terminator, and an 80gr Barnes TTSX with 26.0 grains of Ramshot TAC. The VMAX load runs right at 3470FPS, and the TTSX's clock at 2878FPS. These are both max loads, so work up very carefully! i also run a 7mm08 many times. It is my all around rifle for deer, hogs, and everything else, so it sees a lot of coyote use by default. Great results using the Berger 140grain VLDH, but not a good choice for fur hunting though!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.