What's the purpose of a PTG bolt for remington

born2kill

I see some people replacing there bolt and going with a fluted or non fluted PTG bolt instead at the time there gunsmith is blue printing there action? What is the purpose for this?

First of all ptg bolt can be an 1 piece unit that has been worked over. not 3 like the original remington. second it comes .701/.705 to take up some of the slop the remington comes with normaly .680/..690 .also you can get tac knobs for it and many differnt options on styling and extractors. also this month they had a sale on them for $200 from $300.they are a very good upgrade.

Does the tighter tolerance just make them cycle smoother? I've never had a problem with the slopiness of the stock bolts? I get the cool factor of an aftermarket bolt I have just never come across an reason to be upset with the stock. How do the tighter tolerances effect the ability to cycle in wet, cold, dusty environments?

I completely understand the cool factor of all the aftermarket stuff but plenty of animals have been taken at long ranges with completely stock rifle components that have had a miniscule amount of tuning done. Bedding, good cleaning and proper lube plus a trigger job will do wonders for many stock rifles.

I've said it before I frankensteined together a Remington 700 ADL action, a 700 SPS bolt and a who knows what stainless barrel and the gun shoots under one MOA out to 600 yards. Yes the words on my barrel are upside down but I could careless I have not read them since the day I received the barrel. My gun is as far from cool and custom as you can get, raggedy anne would be a good name for it but it works.

There are at least 2 reasons.

The bolt and the handle are machined as one unit from a piece of plate steel.

Some guys ream the bolt raceway when truing an action. You can order a PTG bolt to fit the reamed receiver.

^^^

This.

Moon at Crescent trued a new SS Rem 700 action and used a sized PTG Bolt in place of the stock Rem bolt in my custom.

Its a tack driver and yes, its "tacticool" but more importantly the bolt is smooth and tight in the receiver. Much better than the factory action.

That's cool. The stock bolt being made of several pieces is inferior how? I've taken a few falls but never snapped a bolt handle off.

If you want to argue that a silver soldered on bolt handle is as fail safe as one that is an integral part of the bolt, argue it with someone else. I'm not in the mood.

I've never had a handle come off either. So I guess since it hasn't happened to you or me, It has never happened and never will happen to anyone.

That's cool. The stock bolt being made of several pieces is inferior how? I've taken a few falls but never snapped a bolt handle off.

This happened to a brand new Remington 700 XCR ...

[quoteOriginally posted by montanajoe
[br]3 Rounds through it; And the results are,,,,,,,

S7303037.jpg

S7303038.jpg

S7303040.jpg

S7303044.jpg

(GunBroker.com Message Forums) ][/quote]

Haha not trying to argus with anyone. It's your money if you want to spend it knock yourself out.

A bolt breaking after only three rounds sounds like a lemon. I imagine their warranty covered it. Hopefully I never have to test the warranty on mine.

Haha not trying to argus with anyone. It's your money if you want to spend it knock yourself out.

A bolt breaking after only three rounds sounds like a lemon. I imagine their warranty covered it. Hopefully I never have to test the warranty on mine.

It took awhile (IIRC ~ 2 months) but he ended up getting an entirely new rifle (GunBroker.com Message Forums - 700 XCR II UPDATE,,,, same model and caliber and never had any problem since).

The point is it can happen for as long as Murphy is around as he does not discriminate. :)

I ordered a ptg bolt because of a few reasons.
1. I wanted some slop out of my action.
2. I wanted a larger knob.
3. I wanted a straight handle so that the knob would not in any way be in the way of my trigger hand when I reached for the trigger on the bench.

A one piece bolt was just a plus. As the cost for what I wanted was cheaper in ordering a new bolt, than it would have been in parts and labor to change the factory bolt body.

That's a fact I will NEVER EVER dispute!!! I don't doubt they can break but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

If you opened the link at the bottom, you'll see another pix of another occurrence (same manufacturer different model).

I recommended a friend to have his TIG welded for ~$40. It's probably 100 fold stronger than the solder. Sure it's an added cost but it also an added security worth the price against Murphy. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.