What's the best solvent to remove copper fouling??

Some do work better than others.
Currently using KG1 for carbon and Bore Tech C+2 for copper. Wipeout has worked well in the past after overnight soaks.

As has been mentioned, HBN coated bullets reduce copper fouling, such that the copper cleaning products aren't used very often. I mostly use them to protect the bore from corrosion during storage, as very little copper collects. But I think a dry bore stored for months on end in the gun room poses a corrosion risk. Which means I never use ammonia containing products any longer. Gave them away.

After using the bore cleaners, previously mentioned, I coat the bore with a nice coating of Kroil, or, Boretec, conditioner. CLP, also is a storage coating that works well.
As mentioned before, I too like the Boretec, and jb, IF, needed.

BoreTech Eliminator. It's not magic in the sense that one patch will get everything out the first time but it works very well on copper and other fouling.

Don't understand the fidelity to Hoppes.
It must be the smell, it does nothing for copper. Even the so called Copper hoppes, is pretty much useless.
The hoppes 9, does have a classic smell.
Cheers

I started using Birchwood to clean and loosen anything inside...but for a serious cleaning I follow it up with JB Bore Paste....leaves them shinier than new.......then of course got to get them fouled again.....
Birchwood smells.....but not too bad.....
That's because you're literally removing a micro thin layer of bore each time you use it.;)
JB bore paste is an abrasive and should be used quite sparingly.

It must be the smell, it does nothing for copper. Even the so called Copper hoppes, is pretty much useless.
Cheers
Hoppes is like coffee, or bacon and eggs and toast. It is a scent that instantly takes us back to an age when we were first comprehending our world. For most of my generation and those that came before it tends to take us back to good memories with our dad's and granddads, etc.

I didn't see any posts about M-Pro 7 products. What is the consensus on the M Pro7? I have used it and it seems to have worked well for me. I have a Krieger barrel that does not foul much at all however.

Cheers

Hoppes is like coffee, or bacon and eggs and toast. It is a scent that instantly takes us back to an age when we were first comprehending our world. For most of my generation and those that came before it tends to take us back to good memories with our dad's and granddads, etc.

I still use Hoppes 9, it's like a manly Chanel 5. ;):D:cool:

I think Chanel#9 , (Hoppes #9), smells good, that's all.
As rose said, we've all used it, because that's all their was. Now we know better.
Still like Boretec, and JB, IF needed. Kroil for storage. Maybe, CLP.

Last edited:
For years I thought Hoppe's #9 was the one until I found Hoppe's #9 Bench Rest. Then I bought a bore scope and my beliefs were shattered.
Now I only use KG 1 for the carbon, KG 12 for the copper followed by Eezox for rust prevention.
If you want proof of how well KG 12 works put a drop on a tarnished 1 cent piece and watch it instantly clean it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.