Copper fouling in .204 ruger

linksmechanic

I'm new to varmit rifles but not to big game rifles. This .204 of mine has about 50 rounds down it and all it does is copper foul. I've been running some jb and copper fouling solvent down it but it still contiues. So here's my ?: When the the copper fouling stop or does it? I know this thing is shooting around 3750 fps but man I hope the fouling goes away.

I assume your running a factory barrel?

Some factory barrels will smooth up in 20 rounds, some will take 100 rounds, some never will. Its a crap shoot with a factory barrel.

IF your shooting a match barrel, I would say something is wrong but I would expect this is a factory pipe if your using JBs on it. I hope.

In a smooth bore, copper fouling should really not be a problem no matter what your velocity is, certainly not at 3750 fps. Powder fouling in a small bore is generally more critical but I would say you have a pretty rough barrel and its nearly impossible to predict when it will clean up.

YOu may want to send it off and try getting it hand lapped to see if it improves any.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks kirb. I pretty much figured it was rough when it started coppering so bad. Amazingly it shoot's cloverleafs consistently. It's a rem 700 sps varmit. The last 3 I have seen had pretty rough bores but stopped fouling after about 20 rounds. That's why I jb'd the heck out of this one. If it were a fine custom barrel I wouldn't touch it with that stuff. But with this rough rider I figured: What the hey? Hey by the way: You got any hs take off stocks laying around you want to sell? The stock on this thing isn't even worth working on.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.