what's the best action for a 338 lm build?

Punisher

I am going to start a 338 Lapua build. I am considering a Remington 700 LA and a Weatherby Vanguard LA for donors.

Which do you think is a better choice? Why?

Max pressure for the round is 60,900 psi, so both actions can handle it. There are things I like more about Wby/Howa's actions and things I like less.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Last edited:
Neither action is considered suitable for 338 Lapua sized case head. Stiller Tac 338 works well for the money.

The thing with remington is that I can upgrade the entire bolt easily without having to machine it to fit something larger like the howa action. The bolt body and head is only about $175, I think PTG is still selling them.

I have over looked other actions like BAT and stiller be size they are not taking back orders right now. I also can't find a surgeon or a badger.

But I'm still determined!

Here is my opinion.

A cartridge with a diameter as large as a 338 Lapua needs to have a barrel with 1.125" threads. The only actions I know of that have threads that size are Surgeon, Stiller, and BAT. I think you also need at least a 1.300" barrel breech diameter for a 1.125" thread.

I don't know where to find a Stiller or Surgeon, I haven't looked for any, but I know where there are several BAT actions. You could have one of them in your hand next week.

I just looked for a Stiller and found some.

I also found a Surgeon and some Barrels with a 1.350" breech.

I did an order for the Deviant magnum action from Defiance machine for a similar build. Just got it back from my smith for chambering and suppressor mount threading. Couldnt be happier. Tolerances close enough that the bolt would not fit with a layer of cerakote, had to be stripped. Smooth as butter. Defiance lead times are not that long as of recently. Another option to look into.

Bugholes has Stiller Tac 338 and Defiance Deviant hunter in Lapua bolt face, I usually use a 1.250 shank because I don't want to wait for a 1.350 but it's nice if you can.

I looked for a BAT lat week and found two, a new short action and a used short action. I found some stiller predators, but never ran pacross one that would work.

Found SPR has a single Stiller Tac 338

I will buy this one. Their availability says 4 total. Better buy two. To get ready for the next build.

But for the sake of the thread, I have seen a guy that built a very nice .338 out of a vanguard. Has anyone tried this?

Here is my opinion.

A cartridge with a diameter as large as a 338 Lapua needs to have a barrel with 1.125" threads. The only actions I know of that have threads that size are Surgeon, Stiller, and BAT. I think you also need at least a 1.300" barrel breech diameter for a 1.125" thread.

I just went through this. BAT states a minimum 1.250" barrel breech diameter for their 1.125" threaded actions. Dunno what the other action manufacturers are recommending.

I just went through this. BAT states a minimum 1.250" barrel breech diameter for their 1.125" threaded actions. Dunno what the other action manufacturers are recommending.
I know BAT's position on thread and breech diameters. My opinion is based on theirs. There is a difference between a "minimum" and a "recommended" diameter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts