What zero do you recomend for 0-600yrds?

Redtail204

What zero do you recommend for shots from 0-600yards? 200, 300yard zero??? what fixed zero point do you guys use for short to mid range use?

Thanks

I've always advocated a 100 yard zero, for most applications.

Why?

Atmospheric effects will have essentially no affect on your zero at 100 yards. This is important when you're using a ballistics program or range card. If your table has you 'zeroed' at 600 yards (for example), that zero is very subject to the atmospheric conditions.

You can shoot quicker, directly to your POA at close range which is where you're more likely to need to shoot quickly. Take as much time as you need to adjust the sights for longer ranges where you tend to have more time.

It's easier to find access to 100 yard ranges to establish and verify a 100 yard zero.

One situation where I think it might make sense to zero at longer range is if you do expect quick (uncompensated) shooting to ranges beyond 200 yards.

-Bryan

most of my hunting rifles i have a zero in the 250-350 yd range, depending on how flat the cartridge shoots. i basically sight them in around 3" high at 100. a "zero" can be checked at 100 yds no matter where the actual "zero" is. another system is to zero at 100 and when going hunting you simply set the turret for 3 moa high or whatever you prefer to obtain a 3-400 yard point blank range.

i zero all mine at 100 yards. easy to shoot n see and with a good ballistic program it just a simple turn of the dial to any range you want. i do leave my scopes doped at 200 or 300 depending on where im hunting.

My personal preference is 200 yards, but I'll say "it depends."

Last week I had a deer step out in front of me at 222 yards. I had to relatively quickly get my rifle into position and take a shot. If I'd been set for a 100 yard zero then I'd be how low at 222? 3.4 inches by my calculation. If I zero at 200 I'm "point blank" to at least 250 and anything at 300 I can start to think or adjust.

If your hunting is "long range only" and you always have time to dial then I can see how 100 yards can be useful. However, most of my shooting does not fit that category.

I calculate Maximum Pointblank Range for the given cartridge/bullet/muzzle velocity which for my rifles (7-08, 30-06, 6.5X55) typically puts zero at 300 yards and MPR at around 350yards. I don't currently own a range finder but can use my scope reticules to estimate range out to 600yards. I'm limited to shorter relative ranges by my lack of a rangefinder but this zero lets me hold on hair to 400yds, 1/4 deer high at 450yds, 1/2 deer high at 500yds which I won't shoot beyond. For most here this doesn't qualify as long range hunting, but I don't specifically seek out situations that demand long shots but at the same time want to be able to confidently take an ethical shot if closing the distance is not an option.

The vast majority of animals I've take have been at 100yds or less. I've hunted with guys who use 100yd zero and depend on their rangefinder to calculate where to dial the scope to and have watched them miss opportunities at filling tags when they lacked the time to range the animal and make scope adjustments.

I guess it really depends on your hunting style. Are you going to specifically put yourself in a long range situation? Then I say use 100yd zero combined with range finder and exposed turret type scope to dial in your range.

I'm hoping for a Leica 1200 LRF from Santa this year. I doubt it will change the way I hunt, but I did borrow a range finder this year from a friend and found it a useful tool and gave me confidence when it came time for the shot.

Good hunting.

I use a 100 yd zero.
I then work out the point blank range and hunt with that dialed into my scope. My PBR is 270 yds, which is 2.7MOA. I know I can take a shot out to 300 yds without having to touch the scope.

Stu.

Re: What zero do you recommend for 0-600yrds?

Thanks for your replies, I should of stated this is for eastern whitetails that are pressured and are usually going from one wood lot the the next across cut corn and bean fields. Usually when the deer come out of cover, or when they are about to go into cover they mill around, and that's when you get your shots. It is not like they are feeding on a food plot and you have extended periods of time to dial them in and shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.