What would you upgrade?

matt_3479

Im taking my first long range precision shooting course in July and im taking two rifles. First rifle is a Remington 700 tactical which i through in an HS precision stock, has a 40X trigger, Harris Bipod, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 right now shooting the 210 VLD's around 2850. Im looking to pick up some 215's to give a go and see which will work best.

second rifle is a out of the box Remington 700 SPS varmint chambered in 243. win with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm scope on top. I bought this rifle for 1 purpose, coyote hunting before i got into the long range game. When i began shooting longer range i figure i would test it out. Right now it is shooting factory ammo under half moa at 100 and hold right around half moa out too 500 (furthest tested). I began reloading a couple weeks back when i saw the potential and it is shooting well under half moa at 100 and have yet to back it up due to weather. I am trying two different loads, 105 bergers and 87gr vmax. Now it so far is shooting great but would like to throw a couple upgrades into this rifle to see what it can really do and get it out to the course with me.

I hate the xmark pro trigger, and the stock is junk! I am limited to cash right now as i just paid for the course and christmas was just here. So it will be a little at a time. so far the viper is great for the money, but i believe i will throw my PST on it for now (from another rifle) just cause it is a better scope. What would you upgrade first?

If you have a scope you can live with wait on that. Find out delivery times on the stock you want. It may be out closer to hunting season in some cases. If your using a smith to install triggers, you'll want to know his turn around time + delivery.

Get done now what can be done now, a lot of stuff these days is backordered, use the time to your advantage.

If you have a scope you can live with wait on that. Find out delivery times on the stock you want. It may be out closer to hunting season in some cases. If your using a smith to install triggers, you'll want to know his turn around time + delivery.

Get done now what can be done now, a lot of stuff these days is backordered, use the time to your advantage.

Well it looks like the stock i would like is back ordered at the moment, i am waiting to hear back about a timney trigger pre set at 1.5lbs and i believe i can install it. Luckily my local gunsmith (not a custom gunsmith by any means but a simple trigger swap is okay) works in the building beside my shop so i would have it back before the end of the day,

If you have the adjustable X-Mark trigger with the exposed adjustment screw, adjust it until its comfortable to you. If it's not the easily adjustable one with the exposed screw, then buy a Timney. Unless you know 100% how to adjust these style of triggers don't try, it can become very dangerous! If you have to buy a trigger then hold off on a new stock. If the barrel channel isn't already free floated then do that until a dollar can easily, but not loosely, slide from the end of the stock to the action under the barrel. If the action is also bound up go ahead and free it up also. Even getting it surfaced bedded can increase accuracy and this shouldn't be too expensive (we do it ourselves so not sure what current pricing would be.) There isn't anything wrong with your scope choice. A cheap stock that isn't expensive would be a Boyds laminate thumbhole. I don't know how others feel about these but for $100 they have impressed me when we worked on guys rifles before. Other than that, sounds like its a good setup. Hope this helped!

If you have the adjustable X-Mark trigger with the exposed adjustment screw, adjust it until its comfortable to you. If it's not the easily adjustable one with the exposed screw, then buy a Timney. Unless you know 100% how to adjust these style of triggers don't try, it can become very dangerous! If you have to buy a trigger then hold off on a new stock. If the barrel channel isn't already free floated then do that until a dollar can easily, but not loosely, slide from the end of the stock to the action under the barrel. If the action is also bound up go ahead and free it up also. Even getting it surfaced bedded can increase accuracy and this shouldn't be too expensive (we do it ourselves so not sure what current pricing would be.) There isn't anything wrong with your scope choice. A cheap stock that isn't expensive would be a Boyds laminate thumbhole. I don't know how others feel about these but for $100 they have impressed me when we worked on guys rifles before. Other than that, sounds like its a good setup. Hope this helped!

I do have the externally adjusted xmark pro. Im still not a huge fan of the trigger. I know if i lighten the x-mark and buy a stock it probably would be better then keeping the current stock and picking up a trigger. I believe Timney triggers pre-set at 1.5lbs to 2 lbs are about 150 dollars. I also have a gentlemen i work with that has a HS precision stock for sale which i am considering. Just waiting to hear back from a place about a McMillan

Found a Timney Trigger 510 close to home going to get that on order in the next couple days. Set at 1.5 lbs should be perfect! now i just have to figure out what i should do about a stock. I really would like to get myself a McMillan or even a Manners (just prefer the finish options of the McMillan) but cant locate any in stock and i know if i order it wont be here in time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.