What would you Build ( Kirby and Ernie )

MsgMan,

There are J-4 based 200 gr ULD RBBT and some heavier jacketed 200 gr ULD RBBTs as well. In the testing we have done with both bullets, the J-4 based 200 gr ULD RBBT was significantly more accurate then the heavier jacket so that is why you only hear about the J-4 version.

Richard is working with new jacket makers all the time to find heavier, tapered jackets to use on his bullets but for the time being, the J-4 based 200 gr ULD RBBT is the best.

With that high of a sectional density, penetration has yet to be a problem even on mature bull elk size game. Even with the very light jacketed bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for answering that Kirby.
Wasn't Richard using a Harrison jacket (spelling?) at one time? I couldn't remember the name and didn't want to give in accurate info.

I know Richard has tested J-4, Sauter(sp?) and Sierra jackets on his 200 gr ULD RBBT. The J-4 gave us what we were looking for accuracy wise and so thats the one that is most commonly used. I have yet to hear of any reports of poor penetration from this thin jacketed bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby , thanks for your insight , it is appreciated ....I'll have to do some more thinking and investigating on this ...Ray

Re: What would you Build ( Kirby and Ernie )

So much for my memory as far as other jackets go... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I guess I just let Richard take care of that.
Since I got back from Colorado I have used Puff to pop a small 8pt @ 546 yards and a male coyote at somewhere between 330-340 yards.
He kept moving after I ranged him and I had to bark to get him to stop. I used the ART reticle with the yote and dialed for the deer.
The 200 WC even expanded good on the coyote.
I'm extremely pleased with Kirby & Richard's work.
My 12 year old shot Puff yesterday for the first time and commented that it didn't kick it all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have been thinking hard about a fast twist 25, but maybe it will be a fast twist {1-7?} 6.5 caliber (6.5WSM, 6.5 Dakota or something in between the two) with say, a 160 class RBBT/ULD/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Who's Bullets are we Talking about , I know but I am Drawing a blank. They have been Talked about many Times.

Richard Graves of Wildcat Bullets is the bullet I use in my 7mm Dakota XP-100.
It is a very high BC bullet that works great on big game.

I also have 1 of Kirby's 7-270 WSM's, BUT i have a big stock problem in that we used 1 of the older model HS's, which is as soft as it gets. It has cracked 2X now, and will be replaced shortly with the center-grip McMillan. Kirby said this might happen, and it surely did. That torque of the 200 gr. Wildcat was more than the HS could take i guess.

After seeing a number of these bigger XP's perform in the field, i have never seen anything like Ernie's rig. I think u would be hard pressed to beat this rig with anything else really. Just run the #'s with that 200 gr. .8+ BC bullet @ 2700 fps mv. This is probably about as good as you'll find anywhere for the ultimate long-range performer out of a handgun. It shoots good, doesn't recoil much at all, and looks almost as good as it performs. If i were doing another long-range project again, i'd go right to Kirby and have him build me a clone of Ernie's. Kirby knows how to build these heavy kickers like few others out there.

Where can I find the BC numbers on the bullets. I did.nt see then on the web site unless I missed something.
I am leaning on a Puff clone . This sounds good.

Richard doesn't list them.
My drop charts with MV of 2706 at my atmospheric conditions give me a working field BC with the 200 WC is in the low 8's

Length wise it should handle it fine as long as you keep it a single-shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.