What would you Build ( Kirby and Ernie )

BLASERMAN

I have found an XP -100 action , I want to shoot up 5-600 yrds. I like The way Puff is set up.
I don't want a Tight neck cartridge .What caliber is good
on deer size Game. I want to knock him Stiff at that range.
As long as the bullet is in the right place.
My money tree will mature in the spring ,ready for picking.

Puff is almost a tight neck chamber but not quite.
Of course, I'm quite fond of "Puff" and I think it is an easy choice even if you choose the lighter bullets like 162 A-Max, 175 SMK, 180 Berger, or the 176 Carteruchio.
A 25 WSM with some 156 ULD/RBBT's, or the 6.5 WSM or the 7 WSM You could also go with either a 270 WSM or a 270x7mm Dakota again with a fast twist and some WC's.
A 6.5-284 and the 284 Win. are not slouches but the cartridges mentioned above will have more authority ("knock him stiff") IMO with the heavier bullets.
I'm really feeling comfortable @ 600 yards with "Puff."
What I really like in a SP is a high BC bullet that performs well on game. It gives you a fudge factor compared to most bullets.

Even though my name was not mentioned in the subject line, I'm still going to chime in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kirby built me a XP-100 chambered in 7mm/270WSM. It has a 17" Lilja barrel with a Defensive Edge Brake. I had it built for "knocking deer stiff" at ranges to 600yds. Puff is a super set up but the dies and brass for that baby are expensive. The Norma .270WSM brass for my build is easy to find and Kirby will shorten the 7mm WSM sizing die as needed.

Anyhooo...I'm getting 2825fps from a 162gr A-Max and have taken three deer at very near 400yds (in MD actually!!) and they simply slump into a pile. I have 100% confidence that this rig will pile drive a deer at 600yds (and possibly more) but I limit my shooting to 500yds until I really get to shoot at ranges over 600+ to polish my skills.

Any one can chime in , I new that kirby builds the XP 100 and I new that Ernie has alot of experince with the Xp 100's. I Talked to Kirby once already by Email on this subject last year.
Some Good calibers to think about, I was looking at the ease
of Relaoding aspect too. I will use this out west ,Mostly Mule deer. It's a shame that Canada and Mexico you can't use a Hand Gun.

Ernie , I saw on your post when you got the 7 Dakota from
Kirby it mentioned Gel Coat can you explain this.

You may get a bulk rate from Dakota cheaper (100-120 pieces).
The gel coat or McSwirly is a option you have with McMillan stocks. Go to their website and you see the options you have.

In my miscalculations Midway is about 16.00 cheaper per 100 rounds.
Thanks I'll look at the web site.

Sorry for the late reply.

Pretty much everything I would say has been answered. Personally, My favorite long range hunting chambering for the XPs are the 6.5mm WSM, 7mm-270 WSM and the standard 7mm WSM as well. The last two are basically identical with the 7mm-270 WSM offering the ability to use the better quality Norma cases with really no more bench work needed or fireforming required.

The 7mm Dakota is a beast in the XP. Only reason I do not have this on my list of favorites is because I do not or have not owned one personally! Power wise, the Dakota is about the tops in my opinion in the XP handguns.

That said, a quality bullet in any of the mentioned rounds will get you great performance at long range.

One thing to remember is that your in a different velocity catagory then compared to rifles of these same calibers. As such, we need a light jacketed bullet to ensure expansion at long range. Also, because the velocity is starting out lower then normal, we want a very high BC bullet to retain as much velocity and energy as possible.

Whoever you have build your XP, make sure they have built these large chambered XPs before because there are some special considerations when stocking one of these hand cannons. If you do not address these issues, your stock will fail relatively quickly. First big XP I had was a 338 WSM. Great round, hell on big game and stocks!!! Broke the laminated wood stock three times until I got fed up an installed enough steel in that grip to handle the recoil.

Have it built right with the right componants and you will be very happy.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby thanks for mentioning the lighter jacket bullet.
When I have Richard make my 200 grain WC's he uses the J-4 jacket which is thinner than the one he typically uses for rifles.
The 7mm Dakota may be a "beast" but it kicks like a "puff-cake." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby ...I would like to congraduate you on the fine XP actioned pistol you built for Ernie . I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it , but hopefully will in the future .. I know that Crow Mag is putting together a 330 Dakota on a XP action also , and I am thinking of one myself , but would like to build a switch barrel on a Striker action , very similar to Ernies ... I would very much like your opinion of this project ...Thanks
Ray

Ray Prager,

The Striker is a fine handgun but as witha all Savage firearms, I highly recommend fitting the barrels in the same manor as a Rem 700. THis makes a switch barrel a bit more difficult but it greatly simplifies the bedding of the handgun as well as any issues that can arrise from that.

For the 330 Dakota, I would lean toward the XP-100 over the striker simply because of the bolt modifications that will most likely be needed with the stiker which can be a bit difficult to perform accurately on the very short Savage bolt head section.

I would not be concerned about the strength of the Striker with this round but modifying an XP-100 is pretty easy, the Striker maybe a different beast to convert into this size of a chambering.

Stocks are another concern when dealing with these very large handguns. I am not sure if the Strikers stock would be up to this challange in the recoil lug support area.

Factory XP-100 stocks are not even close to being suitable for these big handguns and aftermarket stocks are the only way to get a reliable grip on these heavy kickers. While felt recoil with these big handguns is not bad at all, actual recoil energy that the stock has to withstand is the same as if the XP did not have a brake on it at all.

THis is because the recoil energy builds up to the point the bullet exits the muzzle and then it stops instantly. Does not matter if there is a brake or not, the handgun system itself is subjected to the same recoil energy no matter if there is a brake or not. The stock would be a concern of mine with the striker.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.