What tires do you run on your pickup

I wouldn't sipe the tires either. We drive in all kinds of conditions up here in Alaska. I would say most people up here buy 2 sets of tires( pair of Blizzaks for winter, softer tire for traction and a set of summer tires). Me personally, I buy a set of good all terrain tires and have done well. First year I've tried the Goodyear Duratracs, usually used either BF All terrains or Toyo AT's. I don't have a diesel truck, got a gas truck cause it just warms up so much faster in our cold *** winters!!!!

I've only been to Alaska (anchorage) once in the winter and man you are not joking it's cold up there! I think you could almost run blizzaks all year long! But I've also been up to Anchorage a few times in the summer, and once to Barrow and that whole state is just beautiful.

Yep, she's a beatiful state. Been here 34 years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Winters have been pretty good these last acouple of years. Coldest it got this year was 47 below. Live in Fairbanks and it's way colder here than Anchorage( mini Seattle).

memory is not very good but are you not a Wyo 9er ? if so your mud is not forgiving. Try running Dick Cepek Fun Country, probably the best all around tire I have used. Mud, Snow, Deep snow with chains & pretty decent on road noise on dry pavement. They seem to be wearing good, I check the 32's regularly. i run them on a 12 Dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 They will be a good tire for the badlands & Big Horns :D

memory is not very good but are you not a Wyo 9er ? if so your mud is not forgiving. Try running Dick Cepek Fun Country, probably the best all around tire I have used. Mud, Snow, Deep snow with chains & pretty decent on road noise on dry pavement. They seem to be wearing good, I check the 32's regularly. i run them on a 12 Dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 They will be a good tire for the badlands & Big Horns :D

Yep I'm a 9'er I hate the mud here. I'll check those out

I talked him into those! Some of the sizes are hard to get right now though.

I just put a set of Mastercraft Courser AXTs on my truck. They did well this past winter in the snow and the little off roading on the farm roads I do. They will work well for me, but in the Midwest, I don't deal with quite the same conditions you do.

The Wyoming Highway department must have a deal with tire manufactures to make sure we buy more tires per capita than elsewhere. They apply crushed sharp rocks to the road surfaces called chip seal. It is supposed to make the pavement last longer, but it eats tires. Since diesel trucks make up the majority of HD trucks these days, they are extremely hard on tires, especially rears. I have found that mileage warranty's aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I sold a friend of mine a set of Mastercraft A/T2 with a 50k warranty and put them on his 2006 Duramax Chevy. At 20k the tires were down to 4/32nds and worthless for traction. Warranty requires that the tires be worn to 2/32nds and must be evenly worn within 1/32nd across the tread to qualify for warranty adjustment. The set of tires he had before the Mastercrafts were Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade and they only made it to 15k. So much for warranty.

I have been a tire junky for 25 years and one thing is for certain. The tire may look the same from one batch to another, but you never have a clue as to what happens to the rubber compound. I think some of the tire manufacturers do this on purpose. For example, BF Goodrich All Terrain KO used to be a very long lasting tire. I even tried a set, worst wearing tire I have ever owned, bald at 20k. When a tire is made that I really like, I blink and they change the tread pattern and usually not for the better. Since I am a tire junky (kind of like a bullet junky) I keep track of tires that I sell and use and give honest feed back.

Here are the tires that make my short list for Wyoming for trucks that aren't highway queens. Top left Cepek Fun Country, top right, Mickey Thompson MTZ, Middle left Mickey Thompson ATZP-3, Middle Right Nitto Trail Grappler, Bottom left Goodyear Duratrac, bottom right, Kelly Safari TSR

Attachments

• Cepek Fun Country.jpg
    Cepek Fun Country.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 21
  • duratrac.jpg
    duratrac.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 20
  • kellysafaritsr.png
    kellysafaritsr.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Mickeythompsonmtz.jpg
    Mickeythompsonmtz.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 19
  • MTATZP3.jpg
    MTATZP3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 19
  • trailgrappler mt.jpg
    trailgrappler mt.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 17
Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/75's). I am on my 4th set on my second truck. I typically got 60K miles on each set with no issues. I use my truck as you describe that you do. It is my daily driver, a minimum of 60 miles a day and is my work and hunting truck. Work takes me off road on a fairly regular bases, but it is really predominately highway miles.

I have been very pleased with Nitto wear and traction.

Dirty Steve

Terra Grapplers are a good tire, but they are severely limited in our type of mud. They do very well in the snow and they seem to be all over the place with how they last.

I have Coopers HT on my 2010 F250 and love them.

Attachments

• 20140429_100242.jpg
    20140429_100242.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 20
I will only run one tire these days and that's the toyo m/t. I drive about 70000 miles a year berween my work truck and personal truck and 60 of that's my work truck. I have tried good year durra tracks. The worst tire I have ever seen. Rocks chew them to all get out and if it looks at any thing wrong it pops it self. I had about a flat a week. I took them off from getting tired of destroying them. Cooper a/t is almost the same but a little better. I get about 25000 out of the toyo m/t but it supports the weight of a 12000 lb truck going down the road on the gravel and in the mud snow and what ever else I end up with my truck in. They are relatively quite going down the interstate. I don't hardy get flats with them I might get one in the life of the set. I now run these exclusively and I call ahead to make they have a set in when I need them. One of the biggest things is that they have good off road traction though their entire life unlike most where when they are half gone off road traction sucks. I am sure there are some other good ones but this is my favorite. If you are looking for a good warranty the big o a/t has the best warranty I have ever seen and no questions asked.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts