What the heck is happening??? 26 Nosler

clark33

I finally found a load in my 26 nosler that shot sub .5 moa at 100 yards. I am using 140 Berger VLDs and Retumbo as my charge. The load is on the hotter side but no sticky bolt, some slight primer puckering, chrono read 3370 as the average which honestly surprised me because this is near starting load according to bergers data.

Anyways, shot great at 100, took it out to 300 and shot a 3 shot group, 2 were within an inch of each other but there as no 3rd hole. Went back and shot another one at 300 and i saw dust kick up at the 250 yard line and about 10 feet left. Next shot was again 50 yards short or so and way right. I figured my scope bit the dust, so I decided to shoot at the target we put up at 200 yards just to see. My 2 shots I took at 200 yards were sub moa and right elevation... so the scope is fine. What is happening to my bullets past 200 yards? Are bergers know to destabilize? Is something fishy going on in the barrel?? I am really concerned/confused.

Thanks

Are you running hunting or Target Bullets? Sounds like you're blowing them up and switching to Target Bullets will probably fix your issue. If you're already using Target Bullets you may need to slow them down.

Are these hunting or target VLDs?

Berger bullets have had issues in the past with blowing up at high speeds or shooting thru hot barrels like one might in a match. It is why they developed the "target" in the yellow boxes with thicker jackets. The target bullets have thicker jackets than the hunting bullets.

I think you may have much better luck with something like their 140 target hybrid. With its thicker jacket it probably won't come apart at those speeds. Plus at those velocities the thicker jacket may work even better on game. The thin hunting jacket may be too explosive on game at 26 Nosler speeds, close range anyway.

Sorry, these are the 140 hunting vlds.

I am hesitant to using a target bullet on wild game. I want to be ethical

I had a load in my 6.5 Sherman with 140 vld's. I was driving them at 3339 fps and never had one problem the bullets blowing up. I agree that you should try the target bullet. If you do not like the fact that it is labeled a target bullet, try a few bullets from other companies. Matrix bullets in 142,150 160 gr all shot great out of my Sherman. You could also try the Hornady 143 ELD-X. With the horsepower of the 26 Nosler I would be looking at the 160 Matrix. Jackets are thicker from what I was told. I annealed a whole bunch of them but have no on game performance to report.

You won't have any issue with using the 140 hybrid on game. They shed the jacket nose material at about 3" inside and form a nice classic mushroom that usually retains 100-110g. I would buy 500 and let that big dog eat. You won't regret it.

I suspect exactly the same issues from my 26, I could never get really great accuracy from the 140vld, not as extreme as what you have. I figured I was getting the nose slump issue similar to what the 300gr 338 bergers had with the first version that came out. At 100 yards I could get just under moa, past 300 it was a crap shoot, at 500 groups would be lucky to hit the 12" target paper.

I swapped to the 127lrx, the bc may be a touch lower but the accuracy in my rifle is too good to swap away from.

What reloading dies are you using? I found all the standard dies were to tight in the neck- they were sizing down .010" or more and giving me short case neck life. Plus I was getting crooked necks when pulling back over the expander ball.

It's a benchmark barrel. Was broken in according to their recommended process. The hybrids are slightly different as far as design correct? I'm trying to avoid doing a whole new load development

Yes the Hybrids have a thicker jacket, and should be easier to develop a load because it is supposed to be less seating depth sensitive.
They have a deep void under the hollow point which helps hydronic expansion . I'm considering hunting with 185Hybrids in a 300wsm. They have over .410" void.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.