What small caliber for a lady?

dont know if their is better round than 243 for your criteria

it is a very accurate round responds well to reloading and can find a box of ammo just about any where

this was my first centerfire as a kid at 10 years old and 75 pounds still have the rifle I learned my nehews to shoot with it still shoots good groups

i use 100gr core locks most of its life they work well with deer

I agree with BB and Mopar. The 260 rem will do it all at the distance you want to shoot.

And with the 100grain to 120grain bullets recoil will be minimum.

Ammo is easy to buy and reload . There are some very nice rifles in this caliber and the 260
is known for its accuracy and stopping power on deer sizes game.

J E CUSTOM

MY wife is about the same size and shoots a Model 7 260 rem with off the shelf managed recoil 140 grain loads. Loves it due to weight and recoil. Her backup is a model 788 243 but it is a heavier gun and she does not like to carry it far.

You can not go wrong with either for your wife.

All right, My wife and I went to the local gun dealer to check out the .243 in several different brand's and she has narrowed it down to 3 choice's, tell me what ya'll think?

no particular order

1. Remington 700 VLS .243
2. Savage 12 VLP DBM .243
3. Ruger 77 MARK II TARGET .243

I talked to the guy at the store for about an hour or two, and finally convinced the guy to sell me one of the choices with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 scope and base/rings for a really good price. Just wondering what brand of rifle "only" between those three would u choose?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, She absolutely loves shooting the .243. She had a chance last Wednesday to shoot a .243 at the range and fell in love with it. Im thinking, I might have to make another purchase for my self another day, that .243 can shoot 200-300 yds with ease. Hhehehehe. Im like a little kid in a candy store with that gun.

Hi,the exact order you have listed them is my preference for buying,i am a rem fan thought.Great choice of scope.

+1 more for Remington, depending on wich model Rem. I think Remington has a model ??something?? that you CANT put a new barrel on later. No idea wich model that is.
Wich brand has a stock that fits her best? Or is easiest to modify to fit her? I have found that alot of ladies I know like the fit of Ruger for some reason. Shorter length of pull? I dont know the specs. But those are my favorite 2 of the 3 listed.
Good luck and Im sure get joy from shootin her own rifle. Congrats in advance.

My wife shoots a 243. Never missed a dear. She is a dead shot. The 7mm08 and 243 are based on the 308 case witchis a cut down renecked 30-06. All three are wonderful for all game but the biggest badest in northamerica. Happy hunting ya'll.

my savage was much more accurate than my remington, both 'out of the box'. Your luck/milage may vary. Apart from that, theres not alot of difference... If your not gonna modify it in anyway, the tikka`s are great value and very accurate aswell.

The 260 is the same cartridge case as the 243 (which would mean about the same powder charge and recoil) but allows a little heavier bullet selection if desired. This is a big plus to me.
The 308 cartridge case is parent of 243, 260 and 7-08.
260 is available in the following but may be hard to find in stock in some stores:

Rem CDL with 20" barrel at 6.5 lbs. with wood stock
Ruger Hawkeye with 16.5" at 6.25 with laminate stock
Sako85 with 22 7/16" at 7 with a wood stock
Savage does not offer a 260

I have not shot any of the above but the Rem at 6.5 lbs with a 20" barrel would likely yield better handling qualities and would appeal to me. I think the 243, 260 and 7-08 would all be very suitable for your desired use. I favor the 260 or 7-08 because you can get a better spread of bullet weights. I have had a 243 and a 6mm. I shot a 105 gr speer handload but always wanted a little heavier bullet. A 120 BT or 130 AB in the 260 for deer is very nice. The 260 or 7-08 would be more effective out beyond your 300 yd range. You may want to check ammo availability in your area for the calibers of interest. I think the feel and handling of the rifle to her is more important than which of the calibers you get out of this group.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.