Small Caliber Long Range Questions

Without being repetitive, is the .223 case what you want to stay with for cost reasons or would you want any other caliber? If you re-barrel, you can have almost ANY caliber you want regardless of case head size for about 45 bucks additional in changing the bolt head. Savage/Stevens have a huge advantage in caliber changes.

I went to the .223 a couple years ago. I used to coyote hunt with a Ruger M77 .243 shooting 70gn Nosler BT. One day while out on a new farm I shot a bobcat at a lazered 378 yards, that bullet blew a softball sized hole it the cat. I went to the .223 to try and prevent this in the future. It's looking like if I want to shoot long, I may have to just deal with a little fur loss. I'm not gonna give up yet though. I still have a few other bullets to try first.

I went to the .223 a couple years ago. I used to coyote hunt with a Ruger M77 .243 shooting 70gn Nosler BT. One day while out on a new farm I shot a bobcat at a lazered 378 yards, that bullet blew a softball sized hole it the cat. I went to the .223 to try and prevent this in the future. It's looking like if I want to shoot long, I may have to just deal with a little fur loss. I'm not gonna give up yet though. I still have a few other bullets to try first.

While the 243 is not known for being fur friendly I bet you could find a fur friendlier bullet for it. I would look into that if I where in your shoes. I would bet 9 outa ten varmint hunters carrying a 223 now are doing so for the same reason. I think my next on is going to be a 6br just to see if taking the edge off the 6mm bullets will help while still retaining long range supremacy...................................aw hell, I just really want one and can not think of a better excuse.

While the 243 is not known for being fur friendly I bet you could find a fur friendlier bullet for it. I would look into that if I where in your shoes. I would bet 9 outa ten varmint hunters carrying a 223 now are doing so for the same reason. I think my next on is going to be a 6br just to see if taking the edge off the 6mm bullets will help while still retaining long range supremacy...................................aw hell, I just really want one and can not think of a better excuse.

I know what you mean. I looked for a bullet that was easier on the fur, I just couldn't get the accuracy from that rifle. I have been kicking around the 6mm idea for a couple weeks now too. I like the looks of the 6x47 Lapua. I'm gonna see how it stacks up for a varmint round.....still researching.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.