What caliber for second barrel?

straightshooter

I'm going to buy a second barrel for my Savage short action. This new barrel will be for target shooting out to 1200 yards only. What I want is the cheapest round to reload that will get the best performance way out there. For example the top 2 calibers in the running right now are the 223ai and the 6mmbr. I have to admit not knowing much about target calibers, so if anyone has anymore insight let me know. I am factoring barrel life in the cost of reloading, and availability of components is also important.

243Win/ Ackley Imp. (barrel burners 1500-2000rnds), 6.5x47 Lapua (better barrel life), 260 Rem, 6.5x55 Swede, all these cases you can get Lapua brass for. The 260 Rem you either neck up 243 or neck down 308. With the 6mm you will want a 1:9 or faster twist for shooting the 105, 107, and 115 bullets. The 6.5's will need a 1:9 for the 140grn bullet, but personally I would lean toward the 123's. For paper punching the 123 Lapua Scenar, and 123 SMK would be an awesome bullet (I don't mention the 6.5x284 because it is a barrel burner). When going to 7mm's I would look at the 284 Win, and 7mm-08 Ackley Imp. Just some suggestions.

Tank

What's it chambered for now?

Are you doing a switch barrel?

If your doing a switch barrel, are you planning on feeding from the magazine?

If you want to feed from the magazine with a switch barrel, then your calibers should share the same case herritage. It'll make things easier.

It's a 7mm wsm now. Not planning to feed from the mag. It will be a switch barrel deal, and yes, I will be switching the bolt head as well. This barrel will only be used for practice. The cheaper the cost to reload the better, but I still want to reach out there. I'm shooting a Savage fv 223 right now out to 1000 yards. It shoots the Hornady 75 grn hpbt no problem, but doesn't like the 75 grn a-max. It's only a 1-9 twist witch limits my bullet choice. This is why I was thinking a 223ai in a faster twist just might work.

I will not be shooting competition or hunting with this caliber at all, so it doesn't have to be the best wis bang kid on the block. Just something with better ballistics than I am getting right now. Something that goes through the wind a little bit better.

I'm researching some of the other suggestions more closely and I appreciate any experience others are willing to share.

It's a 7mm wsm now. Not planning to feed from the mag. It will be a switch barrel deal, and yes, I will be switching the bolt head as well. This barrel will only be used for practice. The cheaper the cost to reload the better, but I still want to reach out there. I'm shooting a Savage fv 223 right now out to 1000 yards. It shoots the Hornady 75 grn hpbt no problem, but doesn't like the 75 grn a-max. It's only a 1-9 twist witch limits my bullet choice. This is why I was thinking a 223ai in a faster twist just might work.

I will not be shooting competition or hunting with this caliber at all, so it doesn't have to be the best wis bang kid on the block. Just something with better ballistics than I am getting right now. Something that goes through the wind a little bit better.

I'm researching some of the other suggestions more closely and I appreciate any experience others are willing to share.

>For cheap, buck the wind, 1k yd accuracy, and you want to single load. Easy choice 308Win run 175 match bullets.

223 won't buck the wind like .30 cal. and the 308 only uses a little more powder, and reloading will be comparable if not easier.

I have two different opinions to give you. The first is research a projectile that will mimic the trajectory of the 7mm. This will have to be done at shorter ranges than what you are shooting but it will give you the opportunity to practice judging wind drift. An example, a gentleman that I shoot f class with tells me that a .22 at two hundred yards has almost the same wind drift as a 308 at 1000 yards. I would think if you are shooting a .223 or .243 at 1200 you will get used to doping more wind than will be needing for the 7mm. I shoot a 6mm dasher (6br imporved) in f class. I love this caliber shoots lights out and is very easy to tune. The velocity advantage over a 6br is about 150-200 fps. The dasher and 108's or 105 vld's will run with just about anything out to 600 yds. When we shoot 1000 it is a different story. In a switchy condition the dasher or the 6br will give you fits at 1000+ yards. I have also heard that tuning the 80-90 .223 bullets can be a bit of a headache. I do not know from personal experience. If you are interested in learning more about the dasher PM me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.