What sling for new Ar-15

Discussion in 'AR15/10 Rifles' started by mike33, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

Im going crazy looking for a sling for my new ar. I cant believe all these options what is everyone using?
    Mike

2. BigSkyGP

BigSkyGP Well-Known Member

My current carbine sling is a 2 inch wide TAPCO. It is a modular 2point/singlepoint sling. It was on the lower end of the price scale. I like it a lot. For fulltime use a 7lb carbine gets heavy, the 2" strap spreads the load out so its a lot more tolerable.

For my full size ARs I prefer a NM web sling, like the USMC uses. Quick adjust clamp with a Jhook.

Walmart slings work, but come up short even on carbines. They can work in a pinch, for the 12 bucks. Untill you can find the one you want.

3. dortonNC

dortonNC Member

Blue Force Vickers Padded.

It's without a doubt the best I've tried.

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

This is a very good choice, I don't have the padded version. Also of some note and I do like it a bit more, the VTAC 2 point. Please head my warning and stay away from 3 point and single point slings.

5. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

+1 on the V-TAC 2point for a run and gun.

6. szeitner

szeitner Well-Known Member

7. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

I watchd a demo on the 3 point and was looking that way. Please tell me the negatives with it you experienced.
    mike

8. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

They get caught on everything! They can also interfere with the operation of the carbine. They are as bad of an idea as extended latches on charging handles.

9. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you want to use the gun for. From a tactical standpoint 3pt are dangerous junk in my opinion, I dont want anything pulling on the front of the gun and mostly dont want anythig in the way of the mag well. Seen slings get loaded with mag changes.

I like V Tac mounted on the rear of the stock and castle nut nothing infront of the mag well

10. dortonNC

dortonNC Member

Stay away from 3 points. You will end up entangled more than shooting. Combine that, and the ability to bust yourself in the genitals and you would have what I would envision with that OSS sling.

11. threejones

threejones Well-Known Member

Tactical/defensive rig= Vtac
    Hunting rig= Butler Cr with the rubberized stuff on one side, or a ching sling

12. rdsii64

rdsii64 Well-Known Member

I use a mil surplus GI web sling on my AR. It cost me all of 12 dollars. I marked it for prone and sitting just like the one I was issued back in the day.

13. webs

webs Well-Known Member

I have a Magpul MS3 Single Point/ two point sling. I like it so far.

14. BigSkyGP

BigSkyGP Well-Known Member

Three points never stay adjusted right on fixed buttstocks, and worse on adjustable.

I use a rail mounted sling loop on my forend, for my front attachment, and a loop plate under the castle nut, for my two point setup. Sort of a flexible cross between a two point and a single point. I use this for full time carry.

On the range, shooting positions where a sling is used either leather NM or web NM. nearly as good as a bipod once you get it figured out. A hell of a lot cheaper, too!