New AR-15 build

budlight

1:7 20 inch chrome barrel upgraded everything JARD 2 pound 6 oz setup trigger

3A_zpse2651c79.jpg
[/URL]

Looks good! I'm interested in the components you chose and why, if you're inclined to list them.

I have a factory piston AR I like, but selling it to fund building a piston 6.5 Grendel keeps gaining mental ground lately. Both the process of building from stripped receivers, and the 6.5 caliber appeal me, and I'd like to take advantage of any lessons learned in the vast experience on here.

Jack

I kind of bought from multiple venders like:

AR-15 Parts Sale - AR-15

Like the full auto bolt... The quality aircraft aluminum upper and lowers My other target ar uses Wylde stainless fluted 20 inch match barrel. I just shop around and get the best bang for the buck.

From chrono testing 20 inch barrels have an across the board 200 fps gain in speed over 16 inch. match barrels make the smallest groups. Personally I would not recommend 1:7 barrels because you are limiting your self to heavy bullets only. Look at Shilen barrel twist rates. I like 1:9 like my SS Wydle barrel

There's been a couple of threads on twist rates, barrel length, and bullet weight on here lately with lots of information... I'm still pondering what bullet weight, though I'm pretty sure the barrel won't be more than 20. I'll take a look at Shilen.

Thanks!

Jack

Looks good! I'm interested in the components you chose and why, if you're inclined to list them.

I have a factory piston AR I like, but selling it to fund building a piston 6.5 Grendel keeps gaining mental ground lately. Both the process of building from stripped receivers, and the 6.5 caliber appeal me, and I'd like to take advantage of any lessons learned in the vast experience on here.

Jack

6.5 grendel is an awesome round

I have to ask why the upgrades and still using the cheap for arm and front sight?

I bought the small gas block and round tube for-arm. I had a heck of time getting the stupid taper pins out and then the front sight gas block seemed like it was welded in place because of the barrel coating. So I said screw it and put it back together. I shoot across a Caldwell forstock sand bag so it doesn't matter.

the big muzzle brakes keeps you on target. The front sight does bother the 56 mm 6X24 with a 33mm tube with fine center target cross hairs

I just finished my AR Critter Getter. gun)
1-8 Full Bull SS Barrel
Grizzly OP-4 Side Charger upper
Ergo Adjustable stock with rifle buffer and spring
NFA Billet lower
CMC Drop in 3.5 lb Trigger
Harris Bipod
M.I 15" Free Float Handguard
Magpul MOE+ Grip
Bushnell AR223 optic. Pleasantly surprised how good it work.

broke in this weekend and planted a .29 3 shot group @100yds.

Attachments

• IMG_20141214_111212.jpg
    IMG_20141214_111212.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Heat it up with a propane torch and soak it with PB Blaster. Should come off with a dead blow hammer then without much effort.

My SPR build......2.5 years in the making

Colt Upper Rec
18" Douglas 1-7 Barrel
PRI gen 3 Carbon Forearm
Ops Inc muzzle brake and Can Adapter
PRI SPR full rail
PRI front flip up front sight gas block
PRI M84 Charging Handle
M16 Carrier with WMD NB finish with POF roller Cam
Shilo Relible Bolt with modifications.....Mcfarland one piece gas ring, 5 Coil Extractor Spring with Black insert, Titanium Firing Pin
ARMS # 40 LP SP rear sight

Colt Lower
Viltor A5 EMod Stock with A5 Extension
Tactical Buffer Spring Green Spring
SSA-E trigger
Vltor QR sling
Ergo Grip

Arms # 22 scope Med Rings
Arms tactical Cap
Docter sight
American Defense Mount
Leupold TS scope Mk4 2.5x8
Harris S bipod w ARMS # 17 QR mount
KLM pod Loc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.