What size gongs for 400-600?

Relative to size, I like about a 2-4 MOA target, depending on the rest and severity of adjustment.

On something with low recoil, high bc, small adjustments and a good rest, 2 MOA makes a lot of sense.

With something like a 500 yd shot with a 45-70, a 20" plate or 4 MOA might be challenging!

I got a set off of amazon of 1/2" AR 500. I have them set at 300. I've hit them with 223, 6.5, and 338 (230 eld-x). the plates don't have a dent on them from the bullet hits, however, I've broken all of them at the bolt holes/hangars. They were designed as a circle with "ears" for where the bolts attach the plate to the strap. My plates no longer have ears. I need to get holes drilled or burned or something in all three in the plate so there is not the "ear" stress point. Get the plates from a reputable target company, or be careful of the hanging system.

I wasn't going to join in, my take is a bigger plate is extremely helpful on days when things will never go your way, and you have no backstop or berm. You can always spray a center dot and strive to hit that.
But in my experience, you will become a better shooter with smaller plate, the forgiveness is gone.
My max would be if i had a choice, 8"@400, 10" @600
But like an above poster did, a kyl stand at all ranges works. One great learning tool is to pick a target a certain distance, make that your cold bore every outing, regardless of conditions, record the percentages and be honest with yourself.

not for 408 Chey Tac :)
Actually my 3/8" AR500 plate will splatter a 415gr Cutting Edge MTH @ 100 yards from a .408 Cheytac doing 2900 fps. Once you hit that 3000 mark they pass through. A 300 grain SMK or Berger will make a nice clean hole at that range, even with a muzzle velocity of 2700fps.

Actually my 3/8" AR500 plate will splatter a 415gr Cutting Edge MTH @ 100 yards from a .408 Cheytac doing 2900 fps. Once you hit that 3000 mark they pass through. A 300 grain SMK or Berger will make a nice clean hole at that range, even with a muzzle velocity of 2700fps.
Lol, if they didn't pass through, you would have a soup bowl in 5 shots.

Excuse me for posing a somewhat different, but related to spotting hits.....ringing, indicator...... question regarding metallic targets. Does anyone use the electronic light hit indicator? Apparently it senses the vibration of a hit and illuminates a light indicator. Brand, experience, likes/dislikes, costs, protecting from impacts......remote the light??? Thanks
We have a 10 pack of the Magneto Speed T1000 lights that we use for our longer range targets. They are great for indicating a hit (or near miss indicator if you want) on the target. We use them especially for testing students, sometimes the mirage or conditions do not lend to good spotting at distance (even with two instructors behind them spotting). They seem to be pretty durable so far after a couple years of hard use. They attach to the back of the target via velcro strips (holds pretty well), and have a soft jellish/plastic section (can take many impacts) that stick out the side and flashes very bright.
We have some of the old ones that have a sensor that goes on the back of a target and a flasher that mounts to a tripod a safe distance away. Those were hit and miss... pun intended.

I have bought several targets from https://www.atlastargetworks.com/collections/ar500-gongs and I have been very happy with them. He has also made me some square ones that are not listed on his site and he has been a great to work with. A lot of time I take all my targets and place them in a backpack and set them up at various ranges. For distances beyond 600 yards I have been using 1/4" plate in 12"x12" and 18"x18" just so I don't have to haul the weight. Typically I use 6" and 8" round x 3/8" out to 800 yards. At the distances I shoot the most I use the thicker 1/2" and 3/8", 600 yards and in and they have held up great.

I have used the hit indicators at PRS shoots and they really help on days where it is difficult to follow traces or there are others shooting and you cannot hear the report.

I'm still somewhat new to LR shooting so I like 2MOA gongs for a given distance so I can better see and correct for my mistakes.

400y = 8" gong
600y = 12" gong
etc. etc.

Once I'm a better / more consistent shooter I will go with 1MOA gongs to really try and dial in my skills. My gongs are all 3/8".

Good to know. VERY impressive!

Another option, depending on what your local industry base is like, you might be able to get drops from a fabricator at scrap price.

These are QT PLUS drops heading for the scrap yard.

Attachments

• 20200903_122211.jpg
    20200903_122211.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.