What should I expect 300 win mag 185 Berger 50 yards and out

I'd guess a fair split, with more exits at range. I've seen the 180-190's stopped by some small deer. I've also seen the 225 Accubond stopped a couple of times by small deer.

You don't mention which angle, and some variables exist in that regard.

Oops wasn't think about angle but I keep them in the rib cage so from last rib to front shoulder. If the angle is any steeper than that I let them walk. Thanks for any ones help.

I shot a Nevada mule deer, probably a 2.5 year old deer. With a 190 Hornady, 3000 fps MV, at about the 50-60 yard mark, just shy of being completely broadside, and recovered it on the off side.

Farther out, maybe exit, maybe not. A lot of variables, and you did mention Berger specifically, and I haven't shot those at flesh and bone.

Yep I have been running 180 SST always have gotten pass through's however it seems like it doesn't expand very well. My rifle doesn't seem to like anything lighter. Thanks.

In general I like a energy dump but there is a couple spots I hunt if they make 2 jumps you pretty much have to have a blood trail to find them. Extremely thick and steep. Also was wanting to try something different. Also playing with the Berger 215 but recoil is a bit stiff in a sub 8 lb rifle without a brake. Maybe I should invest in a brake or just make one. But I would like to run the 185 between 3000-3100 also open to other options but definitely would prefer something that opens up a bit more than the SST.

Last edited:
I shot a Whitetail Buck this past season at 200 yards with a 300 WM and 215 Bergers. The result was as if a hand gernade went off in the chest cavity. The only draw back was that I found fragments of the projectile in various places and ruined the Tender Loins. I am sure if it would have been a shoulder hit that would have also ruined a lot of meat.

Too much gun and bullet for the situation? probably, but this was a new custom that I wanted to "bloody".

I've seen probably 200+ killed with a 185 out of a couple of 300 ultras at ranges from 5 ft to 1200 yds and very rarely will you see a passthru. Of course you will very rarely need to track one either.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.