What should I expect? South Texas exotics

blipelt

A friend got me interested in the free range axis deer, blackbuck antelope, and auodad in South Texas. What should I expect. Any sponsors or outfitters you want to put a good word in for would be appreciated.

Brent

Exotics range over 20 percent of Texas which as you know is huge. I have killed many free range, I just got back from the King Range which is their origin this afternoon. Exotics where released on the million plus acre King Ranch in the 1930's and now cover the Hill country of Texs and the plains. The Auodad rannge all the way to New Mexico. I drew a tag in New Mexico which has gone to a tag system now. The Axis tastes fantastic and can breed in alternate cycles which means the horns can be hard in summer or not. Blackbuck are usually kept like sheep and not so free ranging. When you get a mule deer lease you may get a free auodad with it. You need to go to the King Ranch for and Exciting Nilgai Hunt. Fast Paced, fantastic eating, big creature, 400 pluss pounds. About same coust of an Axis $1500 You can PM me I Know a some ranches with lots of game. I have a friend whom is an outfitter.

One item that is coming on strong is African Water Buck, on the pricey side, but you don't have to go there to get a respectable trophy. Blue Bull, Nilgai, is a super trophy but they are tough and usually very difficulty to stalk especially the real large bulls. Substantial calibers are usually required with hide in excess of 3/4". If you get the opportunity to hunt these antelope from India, you are in for a treat.
Good Luck

Twenty One leaves out the best thing about the "Blue Bull" or as I commonly call them "GONE". They are fantastic table fair. I mean fantastic. I was at the King ranch Saturday and my son had the honor of taking the first buck off the ranch this year with Oscar. I can never get enough of the King Ranch.

Thanks for all the information, I will check out the King ranch. It looks like we will be hunting alittle closer to home in Nebraska first. Then we plan to hunt Texas in late 2010

thanks for all the help

Brent

Nebraska is a place I am building a file on and yet to make a hunt. Any ideas on where to make a public draw hunt (Only the best) would be appreciated. Mule deer or Whitetail.

^Thanks in advance. Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.