what reloader for a newb

valleysnyper

Hi guys, I am going to get into reloading for my rifles, wondering If anyone can steer me in the right direction, type, brand, and whats a decent price new and used.
Thanks in advance, Gary

Assuming you are doing single stage reloading you can find RCBS Rock Chucker kits on Ebay in the 300.00 range. If you want to piece a kit together to save $$ you could do that as well. Hornady and Redding also have good quality presses, and all are built to last a lifetime so I wouldn't be afraid to buy used.

If you have a good local sporting goods retailer that stocks the major brands it is nice to go put your hands on them before you shop to see what you like.

A new Lee breech lock kit will run you around $126. The press is as good as any other. The hand prime tool is also very good. The powder measure works fine. Much of the rest of the equipment you will likely replace after you learn what you like about it and what you don't.

Of money is not tight, most of the higher dollar kits will likely serve you better.

Just go with a Lee Classic Cast kit or a Lee Classic Turret kit to start. You can buy a better scale down the road and add to the kit later. You will save alot of money going this route to start off or if you have the funds get everything separate so you only buy once.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

This is what I used to get started. It includes what you need to get going. I have upgraded a few things but the press, scale, priming tool, etc are what I will keep using for some time I imagine. They have a $75 rebate that makes it even better. Good thing about kits when you get started is you don't have to try and learn what you need or don't to get loading. Later on you can change and add whatever you need. To me it's a good price to get going.

Thanks for everbodys help, this is in my opinion the best forum around, everyone I have dealt with has been great, im dure I eill have more questions to come...thanks again !

Gary

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

This is what I used to get started. It includes what you need to get going. I have upgraded a few things but the press, scale, priming tool, etc are what I will keep using for some time I imagine. They have a $75 rebate that makes it even better. Good thing about kits when you get started is you don't have to try and learn what you need or don't to get loading. Later on you can change and add whatever you need. To me it's a good price to get going.

I will second this post. This will last you a life time and most of the Lee stuff will not. I have been loading for 36 years and have used many different makers stuff and my opinion is you can't go wrong with anything RCBS, Lyman, or Redding makes.

I will second this post. This will last you a life time and most of the Lee stuff will not. I have been loading for 36 years and have used many different makers stuff and my opinion is you can't go wrong with anything RCBS, Lyman, or Redding makes.

Its pretty hard to not recommend this post. Good quality tools and everything you need to get started. Add in a case trimmer and good dial caliper and you're pretty much ready to go for anything.

Exactly which Lee stuff wont last? I have a press, hand primer, dies, trimmer, and Powder measure. If none of those things last its because I deliberately broke them. Your statement is false. Lee equipment will load ammo as good any other brand out there and for a hell of a lot less.

Lee is made in the USA. RCBS is made in China.

Same here, RCBS rock chucker press kit since 1993, its a bit old with some rust and keeps on ticking. If I were to replace it, I would go to RCBS again and I recommend you get a digital powder scale, more accurate than the crappy balance beam types. RCBS dies are great as a start and if you like tweaking your handloads, Redding Competition dies work well.

After reloading for over 35 years I've tried all brands of equipment. For small volumes (100s) of cartridges a single stage press is all you need. For presses I would recommend an cast iron "O" style press. They are the strongest and most versatile. You will have no complaints with a RCBS, Hornady, or Redding press. All will last longer then a lifetime. Like any machine the most important point is to maintain it. This means regular lubrication of the ram and pivot points. For dies I find Redding to be the best quality. Hornady's latest designs are almost as good, and RCBS is the "good ol" reliable. CH-Tool makes some of the toughest dies that are nearly indestructible. In general I find Lee equipment to be lesser quality and poorer tolerances. Does Lee stuff work? Yes. But I've stopped using their dies as they are not up to the same tolerance standards both in materials and dimensional as the others. I'm sure this will "ruffle some feathers" of Lee fans, but for the highest precision a RCBS Rock Chucker, Hornady 007 (same as lock-n-load), Lyman Crusher, or Redding Boss, with a set of Redding Competition dies is equipment of a different level.

... a RCBS Rock Chucker, Hornady 007 (same as lock-n-load), Lyman Crusher, or Redding Boss, with a set of Redding Competition dies is equipment of a different level.

I don't own most of that. However I very highly doubt that different level is even close to as clear in the performance as it is in the price. Just my one cent, don't really have two to give :D

The Lee collet neck sizing die has the least stress and fatigue effect on the cartridge case. With their under size mandrills you can adjust the bullet tension. The Lee Classic Cast press is pretty good. I use the Lee collet factory crimp die for all my crimping needs. I just bought a Lee Perfect Powder measure and I don't know if it will last as long as my Lyman 55 but it is more accurate than the Lyman.
All that said the Lyman and RCBS dies I have are very good. Just bought my first Hornady's in 375 Ruger and the seating die with the sliding collet is the best. Lyman had the M neck expander but the patent expired and most die makers use that technology now. My Ohaus beam scale is 45 years old and still spot on. Show me a RCBS Chargemaster that is still accurate after 45 years of service. The Lyman is no bench queen subject only to dust & time but has been taken to the desert many times wrapped in a towel and used for on site load development sitting on a tripod leveling base I made for that purpose. Not sure how well the Chargemaster works on the tailgate of a truck.
Probably have trimmed tens of thousands of cases in my Forrester Applet trimmer over the years. I have a piece of rubber hose w/ a drill fitting on the shaft to power it for mass quantities. 45 years of service too. But now I buy a Lee trimmer with the cutter and lock stud for every caliber and toss them in the die box. I cannot measure the difference between the Forrester and the Lee setup.
The point is that I use really top quality equipment and I use Lee stuff. Lee makes some stuff that is the best (collet sizing and crimp dies) and some maybe not so good. But to label one Maker better at everything is foolish.

Did I mention all the problems I've had with RCBS' hand primer? The Lee primer works perfect every time....

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.