What rain gear

I use the Kuiu CHUGACH NX RAIN JACKET and pants, they carry it as large as a 3X. Kuiu is upper end in cost but I've never been wet and this gear is built to last. Frog Toggs will keep you dry and won't break the bank. However they don't hold up well when navigating through heavy brush.

At the moment I'm using the British army MTP waterproofs, good price and hard wearing. So no complaints.

Beware kuiu. Its great stuff but sized very small. I generally wear xl but in a kuiu down vest i had to get a 3xl and its almost too snug in chest. If you are a true 3xl.. i dont think jt will fit

If you need good raingear at a pricepoint, I would suggest US Mil issue, new.... Works until it don't, and tough... 250.00 or so buys the top and bottom new.

The Kuiu Chugach raingear is sized pretty true to fit over clothing. Also, it is light wt and packs small.
Another option is the Cabela's MTO50 raingear. I've had a set of this for 15+ years and it's performed well keeping me dry and it is durable. Downside is that it weighs 2X what my Chugach gear weighs and doesn't pack down as small, but it doesn't cost as much.

eVent waterproof breathable is best and Gore-Tex Pro Shell is close. Regular Gore-Tex does not breathe as well but is OK, especially with pit zip parkas and side vent pants.

Midway (yes) sells eVent and Cabela's has a lots of GTX rain gear.I like their Rainy River PAcLite GTX suit. Had it for the past 10 years.

But I prefer my REI eVent suit.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I have 3 sets of Kuiu rain gear. A set of Chugach for early season, and 2 sets of Yukon for mid/late season that I wear even when not raining/snowing. They are "athletic" cut, but I still wear the same size I always do. Seems the outer layer rain gear are cut a bit more generous to allow layers underneath.

An xl garbage bag that punch your arms and head through the bottom. Lol
Couldn't resist but it does work.
Where I live if there's moisture in the fall it's generally snow. I think I've had it rain twice on me

The SKRE rain gear is pretty good for the price, especially if you get it on sale. It's lighter duty then the Kuiu Chugach but also lighter weight and packs down smaller. I've never been wet in either the Kuiu or SKRE. SKRE warranties their stuff for life under normal use too. I've had a set of Verde Chugach pants at Kuiu waiting on warranty replacements since November and I was told yesterday they won't have medium replacement pants until August. That will be 9 months and they wouldn't even upgrade me to Yukons for free (which they have in stock). Kind of ridiculous to have to wait that long for replacements on 200.00+ rain pants. I'm sure they aren't ordering them in until right before season so they don't have to sit on inventory through the summer. It's just bad customer service IMO. I would of liked to taken them with me next week on my axis deer hunt in Hawaii, since it's calling for rain, but the SKRE's are going now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.