What make and model to buy ???

dstegjas

I have been having this urge to have a .243 in a varmint rig. I already have a T/C Contender in a 17HMR (Bullberry) and .223 (MGM) carbine. I also have a Remington VS in .308 too. I think the .243 would complete the whole varmint package. So what I am looking for here is recommendations on what make and model to look at. I have listed a few other guidelines and questions below.

1.) I am left handed, so I will need a left handed bolt.

2.) Price not to exceed $750 for the gun.

3.) Buy new or used.

4.) Buy used and rebarrel.

Tell me what you guys think I need.

Jim

Last edited:
Savage Model: 16 FLHSS. No heavy barrels, that caliber, in their lineup with a bolt on the wrong side. Out of the box accuracy is difficult to beat.

Thanks for the reply MrMasjestic. I like the stainless and I agree about their accuracy out of the box. I am curious about you comment about no heavy barrel. What's your reason for that ?

Jim

You might be able to call the factory and have a Mod16 fitted with a heavy barrel. They do take custom orders for stuff like that. From what I understand it doesn't cost that much more.

Tank

Thanks liltank.

I think I have decided on the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .243. It's not a special order from the factory. So the delivery time shouldn't be to long. I have not heard a lot of good things about the stock on them. So I will probably replace it with a HS Precision stock if I don't like it. I was able to find a dealer that would sell me one for $565. Not a bad price for a varmint rifle.

Jim

Thanks liltank.

I think I have decided on the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .243. It's not a special order from the factory. So the delivery time shouldn't be to long. I have not heard a lot of good things about the stock on them. So I will probably replace it with a HS Precision stock if I don't like it. I was able to find a dealer that would sell me one for $565. Not a bad price for a varmint rifle.

Jim

Good choice. Also, good move to replace the stock. The factory stock is cheap tupperware. When you get the stock, have your smith bed the stock, tune the trigger to ~2lbs, lap the lugs and recrown the barrel (~$200). Put a good scope on it and it will be good to go.

I had a Rem700SPS Varmint 308 that started life the same way....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

This rifle was eventually transformed into a custom 260...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Good choice. It should make you a great longer range varmint rifle and double as coyote hammer if you get the chance. The BDL bottom metal is handier for unloading than a blind magazine also. Good luck! Let us know how she shoots.

[I would buy a Savage if you want to go with a stock rifle. I you want to put together a good long range varmit rifle I would build a 6 by 47 lapua. Less powder more speed than 243.

Good choice on the SPS varmint. I have used them for several "semi" custom rifles in the last few years. Swap out the stock and tune up the trigger and you will usually have a pretty good shooting rifle. Have the crown recut and it will get even better. I have used b&C stocks on the last several and have been very happy with them. I would like to try one of the new m24 stock from them....if you could find one.

And a 243 is a great caliber choice. Very versatile and easy to load. You're going to have a great rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.