Cooper .17FB from Model 38 to Model 21

longarm

Does anyone know why Cooper Firearms has moved its .17 Fireball from the extra short Model 38 action to their short Model 21 action? I'm very interested in a Montana Varminter in .17 FB, but would prefer it in the extra short 38 action.

I believe it had do with action strength. I have a .221FB in an M38; no problems. The small cal. cats over on Saubier.com can probably give more info.

Yes, I found out that apparently the Model 38 action had to be beefed up when chambered for the Fireball line of cartridges which wasn't economical to do. Also sometimes loaded rounds were too long for the ejection port if they were not fired when chambered, requiring that the bolt be removed with the loaded round. I still would much prefer the shorter Model 38 action for the .17 Fireball. Better still for my needs would be a repeater version of the Model 38 with beefed up lugs.

I see the new Cooper Model 51 repeaters are out, but they're based on the 21 action, so that won't help...
Have you considered the mini-Mauser CZ 527 in .221FB rebarreled to .17? I've heard of guys doing that; even still able to use the d.b. magazine with slight modification. I'm thinking of going that way for a .20 VarTarg. CZ was moving towards a 527 in either .17FB or .20VT a couple years back, but unfortunately that probably went by the wayside.

I see the new Cooper Model 51 repeaters are out, but they're based on the 21 action, so that won't help...
Have you considered the mini-Mauser CZ 527 in .221FB rebarreled to .17? I've heard of guys doing that; even still able to use the d.b. magazine with slight modification. I'm thinking of going that way for a .20 VarTarg. CZ was moving towards a 527 in either .17FB or .20VT a couple years back, but unfortunately that probably went by the wayside.

I have a CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar in .222, but I really like the walnut stocks such as the Montana Varminter stock on the Cooper. The Coopers are just so astetically pleasing. I also found out that they are not planning to bring out the Model 51 in .17 Fireball. I'm even thinking of buying a Model 51 in whatever .17 they bring it out in (possibly .17 Hornet) and re-chambering to .17 Fireball if it will clean up the old chamber without too much setback. I also would prefer a hinged floorplate mag. rather than a detachable mag like on the old Sako AI action.....but a custom made stock for an old Sako (and a new .17 barrel) similar to the Montana Varminter would make the project almost double the price of a Cooper.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.