What kind of stock bedding for H@R

clark270

Looking for a bit more out of my H@R Ultra Slug Hunter. Thinking fully bedding the whole forearm. Or Free float it except for the screw that holds it on? I free floated my Encore and works fine but I don't know about cutting the plastic part that contacts the receiver. With the Encore the only part that touches is the two screw holes. The H@R has one screw hole. Some help before I start making holes. It is a wood stock.

Please post pics and how it works. Just wondering how this will work cause its not like a bolt action are you talking about bedding the forward grip. If so I'm interested on if it will work. I've heard some folks talk about it but been hesitant to try cause mine shoots so well.

Snox, I won't touch yours. Mine I was thinking trying to freefloat except the forend screw first that's easy. And if the groups don't get smaller bed the barrel to the forend screw. I have seen just the area around the screw hole bedded but I would think the barrel harmonics would be off. Figured someone on here would of tried bedding the whole barrel on a single shot.

Free floated the barrel and it shot about a six inch 5 shot group with Remington Accutips 3". About the same as before getting sick of spending $10- $18 bucks for 5 slugs. I must of got a dud of a H&R. Then I shot my Encore muzzle loader with some pitting in the barrel and it shot a fricking 1" inch group at 100 yds. And that was my first time trying buckhorn powder. Time to get rid of the H&R.

Tried the Hornady sst's, and the Winchester platinum's. Getting tired of wasting money on slugs when I'm saving up for the gunsmith to put a new barrel on my rifle. And that's the gun I use for deer and target shooting. Going to try Remington's premium sabot I forget what they are called the $18 ones.

That is really weird I had a difference for sizes with accutips and the sst sucked but I feel you might have a bad gun. Or try lightfields they don't have the distance of the others but really seem to shoot good out of everything. Hope you figure it out and good luck.

Pulled the scope off and made sure all screws are tight. But not too tight. Lapped the scope rings and torqued to 15 in.lbs.. Going to try this again. Here goes another $15 in five shots.

Well it's getting bad about a foot long horizontal group and about 2-2 1/2" high. With Remington solids and the new Hornaday interlocks. Time to start drilling. It might be awhile before my next post busy like always and when I'm not busy it's too windy.

What the plan now. Really kinda surprised none of those rounds shot well. please keep me informed. Also hate to say anything now but if Yu do get sick of it please pm me and I would be interested in it. Might be able to use the action and re barrel it with a longer tube and try some ideas I have. Hope you can get it straighted out.

What scope do you have on it? Mine shot great then when I went to shoot it the next year before season it was all over the page, changed the scope and not a problem for the last 6 years.

Sent it in and Smith and Wesson put a new barrel on it, still doesn't shoot that great. Better but not what I'm looking for. They sent a 3 shot group with all shots touching it might of been at 25 yards or 50. I want that at 100. Bushnell trophy scope took the original off. Not a Leopold or burris accurate gun. Not for sale yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.