New H&R owner

wlperry_18

I bought a H&R slug gun about 2 weeks ago. Wondering anyone out there own one. If so what do you think about it? What slugs do you shoot? I got the 12 ga. and I am going to shoot 3in slug out of mine.

thanks
Bill

H+R

I own a H+R USH in 12ga,Mine really likes the lightfield exp's,it can consistantly touch holes at 125yds off a good rest.I tried sabots like the Hornady sst's,but results are mixed.I really like mine and have busted deer out to 150-160yds.I think they are the best slug guns out there for the money.

I have a 12 for myself and a 20 for my son. I agree 100% on the Lightfield slugs. They are the most accurate and really hit like a ton of bricks. I also agree the Hornadys are very inconsistent.

Great gun for the money!

I also agree the Hornadys are very inconsistent.

I read that the twist rate on the H&R is too slow to stabilize the SST slug.

We all know how critical that parameter is for center fire cartridges. I only recently learned that it is important for slug guns but now that I do, it is fascinating to me to see how little this issue is raised about slug guns and ammo.

Last edited:
I read that the twist rate on the H&R is too slow to stabilize the SST slug.

We all know how critical that parameter is for center fire cartridges. I only recently learned that it is important for slug guns but now that I do, it is fascinating to me to see how little this issue is raised about slug guns and ammo.

You just learned me about it. It may explain some of the groups I saw last year trying diff slug loads.lightbulb

We will be publishing some articles about slug hunting and ballistics later this year.

I have a new T/C Encore Pro Hunter coming soon with both 12 and 20 gauge, 28" SS, fluted barrels. These are both in the faster 28 inch twist rates that will work for some of the newer, faster slugs such as the Hornady SST.

We will be publishing some articles about slug hunting and ballistics later this year.

I have a new T/C Encore Pro Hunter coming soon with both 12 and 20 gauge, 28" SS, fluted barrels. These are both in the faster 28 inch twist rates that will work for some of the newer, faster slugs such as the Hornady SST.

I am looking forward to seeing those articles.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts