What Is Your Favorite African Caliber/Cartridge/Rifle

That should be a great one to work with. Plus, as heavy as I think that they are ……recoil should be very manageable! memtb
I had ordered the Alaskan at a "distributor" and waited a whole year for it. It was produced for a few days aroun August in 2012 and I picked it up in November 2012. Developed a load with 260 and 300 grns. Sits in safe now.

Last edited:
I had rodered the Alaskan at a "distributor" and waited a whole year for it. It was produced for a few days aroun August in 2012 and I picked it up in November 2012. Developed a load with 260 and 300 grns. Sits in safe now.

Put it to use…..should work nicely on hogs and Whitetails! 😉 memtb

Put it to use…..should work nicely on hogs and Whitetails! 😉 memtb
🤣 So does the 243 for me, 270 for my son and 30.06 for my daughter. Yep, she prefers the old 30.06. For 10 years I hunted with 300WBY, then next 10 years with 30.06, now down to 243. I don't realy hunt, I harvest.

I've fortunate enough to of been over 9 times. First trip was a Tika T-3 in a .300 WSM. Then several trips with a 7mm Mag. last 4 or so (except the Congo) I have used my 7 SAUM. 50-60 animals? 7 mag I was using 160 gr AB's. Did a good job. No complaints.
The SAUM uses 180 gr Berger VLD's at 2900 fps and kills very well. Has 3 eland to it's credit. Last trip I used it I took Sable, Impala, Zebra, copper, white and black springbuck, Auodad, Blesbok, Mtn Reedbuck and Vaal Rhebuck.
There are some less expensive hunts available for Africa. $4-5K will get you a 7 day hunt with 3-7 animals. Airfare is another $2K or so. If you can spend the $ it's worth the trip.
Bruce

I've never been. I have my wife talked into it though when we can come up with the funds. That being said, I have talked to hunters that have been. For the hunts that I could afford (not dangerous game), I would not shoot a .375 or bigger. I would be looking at a .30 cal mag of some sort. I'm undecided whether I'd use their rifles or bring my own. I like the idea of no hassles at the airports. It seems like those that have rented rifles have always done just as well as those that have brought their own.

Not yet been to Africa but would carry my Waffen-Krausser -Munchen double rifle with 9.3X74R. Hornady "Dangerous Game" Cartridges

Attachments

• 17737914_3 - Copy.jpg
    17737914_3 - Copy.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 4
Many years ago, when Zimbabwe was called Rhodesia, i went hunting for the big five. For elephants, rinos , and Buffalo used a Westley Richard's double rifle in 577 nitro expess. For lions and leopards used a 460 Weatherby Mag.
I think those days are gone.
Not sure if those days are completely gone but at least you got to experiences it! What a great experience it must have been.

I've been twice for plains game and have used to different rifles. The first trip I tool the 6.5 x 284 utilizing 140 grain Berger Elite Hunter bullets and they worked great. Second trip I took my 7LRM with 180 Berger Hybrids and it also was more than sufficient for plains game. I'm headed back in May of 2025 and will be taking a 300 PRC, but only because I just recently acquired it and want to see how it performs with the 215 Berger on Plains game and warthogs. From what I have seen it doesn't take a lot to kill most of the plains game species that South Africa has to offer, just a well placed shot with a good bullet. I honestly think the 6.5 PRC would be the perfect round for Plains game with a good bullet like the Accubond or Partition.