What Is The Next Size Up From 1/4-28?

Cholla

I buggered up the threads on the forward screw hole on my Remington 700 receiver to the point I think I need to drill it to a larger size and retap. I am thinking of going to 5/16-24 or 5/16-32. Is there a better option? Maybe metric? Hunting season so three weeks away...

Why don't install a solid insert? You can make your own and install it with red loctite.

EZ Lok example

You can install it and then machine it back flush

Example

E9F97932-1F03-43EB-B7F2-46FD0E99CB8A.png

3/8" is a really big hole... I wouldn't go that route. I don't see any reason to enlarge the hole to that size for the sake of keeping the original 1/4" screws.

I'd go to 5/16". You could also TIG the hole, drill and tap back to original size- but you'd need a milling machine to accurately locate and drill out the weld.

I see that you have resolved the problem to your satisfaction but for the benefit of others, Loctite makes a product called Form-A-Thread that is marketed as a stripped thread repair. While I have not used it personally it seems like it would be ideal for a situation where the threads were not totally destroyed. I have also used regular Loctite Blue or Purple in the same situation. This is sold as an automotive product so I assume it has sufficient tensile strength and high temperature resistance for use with firearms. As with all suggestions each person should evaluate a particular products suitability for their specific application.

I buggered up the threads on a Browning x bolt to where the bolt wouldn't screw in. Got tap partly in but chickened out on finishing it and took to gunsmith. He ran a tap in and cleaned it all up then cut down a replacement screw that is longer than the stock one to get full threads in it. The factory screw only grabbed with 2-3 threads. I was sweating that one since it wasn't my rifle and deer hunting started in about a week. Issue with the x bolt is the barrel threads are at the bottom of the action screw hole, so can't tap through it.

I buggered up the threads on the forward screw hole on my Remington 700 receiver to the point I think I need to drill it to a larger size and retap. I am thinking of going to 5/16-24 or 5/16-32. Is there a better option? Maybe metric? Hunting season so three weeks away...
The 2nd part of the issue is that you will need to find a bolt / screw to match the new thread. The metal thickness on the receiver maybe too thin for a Helicoil, will need to research. I would lean towards retapping to 5/16-24 or 5/16-32. Taps and socket head cap screws available on the McMaster Carr website.