What is the difference between a 6.5 X284 Norma Match die and a 6.5X284 Norms die?

My 6.5x284 Norma spec chambers/rifles that have included Cooper, Savage LRH, and a few custom barrel have been very close if not identical to the Pacific Tool spec shown below. Originally, a wildcat, and a once a darling amongst various competitive venues, lots of liberties have been taken in in modifying various dimensions, primarily throat and neck diameters. Originally, because of the short action heritage of the 284 Winchester, many offerings were chambered for short actions, with short throats, limiting COAL to 2.8",, and for this reason you will find many reloading recipes listing loads that reflect the reduced case capacity. The Norma spec chamber can accommodate COAL to 3.1-3.2" in a medium or long action. Because of the historical variation in chambering, with the exception of Norma, very few of, if any of the big ammo suppliers offered ammo for the 6.5x284 Norma. This was one of the primary motivations for Hornady introducing the 6.5 PRC, a ballistic twin to 6.5x284N, with a clean slate and no baggage. However, some of the same ambiguities that plagued the 6.5x284 seem to have crept into the 6.5PRC. Originally touted as a short action, like the 6.5x284N, the 6.5 PRC needs a medium/long action(or magazine modification) to take full advantage of the ballistic performance.
I have used both Lapua and Norma cases interchangeably in my 6.5x284's over the years, but predominately Lapua due to availability, and an approximate +3.5 grain case capacity. The Norma total case weight is approx 5 grains heavier then the Lapua. Exterior dimensions and neck wall thickness between the two are near identical, and I have used the same(Redding) dye/bushing successfully with both cases. I have been able to achieve comparable results with either case with charge weight tuning. Some years ago I acquired Hornady headstamped 6.5x284 cases but they would not chamber in any of my 6.5x284N chambered rifles. I never pursued the exact reason for this, but it appeared he case head dimension was oversized…..I just tossed them.

35219CCB-0824-4C74-BAD0-35E2DC9BC289.jpeg

Last edited: