what is the caliber I want?

parlaan

Just moved in from Melbourne, Australia, now in Da
I have a ranch (don't do much long range shooting yet but plan on getting there in the years to come) and there is a field with a ton of whitetail on it and the range is around 650-680 yards farthest. What caliber do I want if I am going to get a custom rifle and shoot deer from 100-680 yards, elk 100-400 maybe 500 yards, coyote as far as 700 yards, a hogs as far as 500 yards? I got a 8.5-25 mark 4 to put on it. So custom rifle amazing scope, I don't reload. What caliber do I want?

Parlaan, There are more knowledgeable people on this board than I am. But I have a remington 300 Win Mag,a 270 WSM and a 25-06. I have had lots of guns but I have narrowed it down to those three. If I could only have one rifle, I would have the 300 Win Mag. That would be a real tough choice, because all three are good flat shooting long range rifles.
Tim G

First of all, I would look at starting to get some reloading equipment. I hate to say it but a 308 will probably work pretty well. I am the type that if given the choice I will use a 300rum where a 25-06 will work. I would look at the 308 simply because of the amount of bullets available and that the cartridge will enough energy. Light recoil, should work. If you are like me then you will blow this off and jump to a 300rum just for kicks though.

IF you are not going to reload then the 300 win mag is the way to go. More than decent factory ammo to find the one load that shoots under .5 MOA with good custom gun. Also Black Hills reloads the 300 win mag.

Suggest you beg, borrow etc from your friends about 3-5 rds from each mftr loads just to test to see rather than buy whole boxes

300 WSM would be great round also if you want to reload.

BH

I have a Savage 12FVSS in 270WSM and it shoots 1/2" groups @100 yards with Federal Premium factory ammo. I am building up my brass supply to reload. 130gr Accubond or Ballistic Tip @ 3400fps will make quick work of your game selection on your field.

Have fun!
Tom

You would be better off getting a factory rifle and spend the difference between a factory and a custom rifle on getting reloading equipment and learn to reload. I'll admit that I started doing reloading before I owned a firearm so the concept of using only factory ammo is a little foreign to me. I have never shot any animal with a centerfire rifle other than a prairie dog, with factory ammo.
I would either go with the 25-06 or the 7mm Rem. Mag. for what you want it to do. The 7mm RM would probably be better suited but the 25-06 is my all around favorite cartridge. If you were set up to reload I would choose the 7mm SAUM with the 7mm-08 a close second, I do not have a SAUM but I believe it would fit the bill well ( actually I don't have a 7-08 either it's my wife's).
RE other responses the 300 Win Mag. is a fine cartridge but the 7mm RM's recoil is much more tolerable at the bench and to get proficient at long range you need to practice.
James

since you include elk ; the 300 win mag with a vais for sure. the 7mmrm/wsm and the 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 are some others. if you can afford a custom gun, and a mk 4 scope i would get some reloading equipment too.

i get the feeling you don't have a lot of shooting experience, so just get a 30-06.then in a year or 2 when you just gotta have a big bad long range thing, you'll have the long action to build on.

You can't go wrong w/ the 3006. The standard for big game cartriges. When you do start to reload, easy to reload for. When reloaded can nearly reach magnum #'s, if shooting a good quality modern rifle.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.