What is the advantage of a 30" bbl over a 28" bbl

I feel the longer barrel swings & points better for trap shooting, but the velocity difference between a 30" and 28" barrel is relatively tiny.

Long time back a gun article described how the author took a bolt action 12 gauge goose gun with a 32" barrel and cut the barrel down 2" at a time stopping at 18" - taking chronograph readings all the way.

The total difference in velocity from 32" to 18" was only 80 feet per second. That's less than 6 feet per second per inch of barrel.

I shoot a 30" barreled semi auto for waterfowl hunting because it's a longer sighting plane for shooting high birds (50-70 yds). This is mostly for snow goose hunting.

For sporting clays I shoot a 32" over under. On an over under its not that long considering there is no action like a pump or semi auto.

For just about everything else hunting I shoot a 28" barrel which is a good compromise. I'm a big fan of 28, 20 and 16 gauge guns for all upland hunting and decoying ducks when they are on a 20 gauge frame. Enough weight to shoot well but not a bunch to carry and low recoil.

Why would someone want a 30"barrel over a shorter one?
I have no idea other than higher velocity. Yet I shoot all my O/U's with 26, my waterfowl gun 28. I like quick fast pointing guns over the long slow ones. At the trap range guys always telling me what I should get and should have 30-32". They say it is smoother and easier to break birds. I still just keep breaking my low 20's with a 25 every now and then with my 26" 6.5lb gun. Too many other gun wants to buy another O/U with 30" barrels and more weight.

I'm by no means an expert but the length is supposed to help with swing and balance. Atleast that's what my dad would say . I just think he was selling me some b.s . I was shooting with his club for awhile and they all had o/u shotguns . I showed up with my 870 pump . I still don't shoot shotgun worth a darn but I do have 3 32 inch barrel o/u . A gift from dad . I'm thinking he was just tired of hearing crap from the guys about my gun.

An O/U with a 30" barrel is the same OAL as most current semi auto waterfowl guns with a 26" barrel. The advantages over a 28" are a smoother swing, longer sight radius, less muzzle blast , and a little less muzzle jump, setting up better for a second shot. the only disadvantage is it can be harder to open and reload in a cramped blind with high sides. All these become more noticeable as barrel length increases or decreases. This is why most folks shoot a 30" at skeet, 34" at trap and 32" at trap doubles and sporting clays. Hunting, I have shot 26", 28" and 30". I no longer own an O/U of less than 30" for any purpose. All my hunting guns are either a 26" auto or a 30" O/U. I only shoot the autos in bad weather or in steel pits. My O/U's are nice guns that I don't take in bad weather.