What is the advantage of a 30" bbl over a 28" bbl

Velocity, or potential velocity increase.
This! The most common estimate is ~25 FPS +/- XX per inch, at least on rifles and handguns. My .270 AI has a 30" Lilja 3G 1:8" barrel.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

ADDED: For what it is worth ...

Last edited:
seeing that your in the shotgun section i assume you are talking over/under. for hunting 30" is to long but competition 30" or longer is normal i use to shoot 32" for better sight plane and control. longer and heavier are not as whippy as short barrel guns.
hunting= fast/quick shooting
competition= controlled/precise shooting
with autoloaders the shorter barrels are preferred 26-28 any longer gets to cumbersome

seeing that your in the shotgun section i assume you are talking over/under. for hunting 30" is to long but competition 30" or longer is normal i use to shoot 32" for better sight plane and control. longer and heavier are not as whippy as short barrel guns.
with autoloaders the shorter barrels are preferred 26-28 any longer gets to cumbersome
LOL! That's an excellent point. I have a 12G Marlin 120XR with a 40" barrel. 🤣

Yes, regarding shotguns. My current shotgun is 28". I saw that a 30" barrel is an option.

Barrel length has a big impact on how a gun swings. Shorter barrels tend to feel a bit snappier, while longer barrels feel a bit slower and more smooth. Keep in mind action matters too. A semi or pump will feel longer than a break action assuming the same barrel length on both since the action itself is much longer.

Personally I wish I went with a 26" barrel instead of a 28" on my semi. I definitely wouldn't go 30" on a semi or pump. On a break action it's not too bad.

Barrel length has a big impact on how a gun swings. Shorter barrels tend to feel a bit snappier, while longer barrels feel a bit slower and more smooth. Keep in mind action matters too. A semi or pump will feel longer than a break action assuming the same barrel length on both since the action itself is much longer.

Personally I wish I went with a 26" barrel instead of a 28" on my semi. I definitely wouldn't go 30" on a semi or pump. On a break action it's not too bad.
Hey, that's interesting. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Beretta 400 and a 26"bbl is an option

Hey, that's interesting. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Beretta 400 and a 26"bbl is an option
The 28" isn't unmanageable, and if you're mostly using it for clays it might be the better choice. For hunting and 3 gun I find it longer than I'd like. It's a bit unwieldy in a layout or turkey blind, and definitely not the right choice for 3 gun. I haven't done much upland with it but it might be fine for something like that if you're out in the open.

I'm thinking about getting a 24" barrel for turkey and 3 gun, and maybe using it for waterfowl if I like the way it shoots.

Pretty well beat to death above, but if used in the field..I'd wager that the 28" is the most popular length. I always preferred the 26", except in a blind, as it can blast your partner's ears a tad easier when there's a ruckus going on. IMO, the 30" barrel is obsolete except for sporting games, then weight and balance is your friend. My single barrel trap guns all push 10#'s+ and have 34" pipes, O/U's 30" min and generally are 32".