What is better than the Weatherby?

These days it's hard for me to pick just one favorite .30 cal. cartridge with so many good ones to choose from.

The .300 Weatherby is certainly a fine cartridge for any longer range hunting and shooting, there is no doubt.

The .300 Norma Mag and the AI version are certainly in there kicking and screaming.

The .300 PRC is another good cartridge.

Then include the:

30 Nosler
.300 RUM
30-378 Weatherby

But probably the most popular and long lasting is the .300 Winchester Magnum. Both the civilian versions and the military derivations.

There are several more but others should post their favorites.

;):)
Cz 550 in 375 H&H or take your pick with a Sako 85

I will admit I am a weatherby hoarder I have 11 weatherby caliber rifles. From 460 WTBY safari down to my .240. I also have several RUM's 300 Wins & WSM's. Ive had lots of rifles built but when it comes down to it, no matter what I am hunting I know I can grab my MKV ultralight 300 WTBY and go kill it. I also have its twin in 257. Those two rifles account for 75% of my big game hunting. I do use my 340 quite a bit after elk. My one and only moose in Alaska in early 90's fell to 180 gr partition out of my 300 WTBY at about 220 yards I still remember that sound today it sounded like someone smacked two 2X4's together the moose shook a bit and tipped over. So far that is the largest bodied animal I have ever taken. It also accounted for a 170in whitetail several years ago. Lots of black bears and other deer. I never tried it on any thing under deer sized game the 257 gets that call. Its getting to the point accuracy is going away I am sure its do a new barrel. It kicks and it kicks hard at just about 7 1/2 lbs its going to. I know it my friends have shot it and said "they'd never hunt with it". I could have installed a brake but I figured so far Ive only shot it twice once on a game animal everything else DRT 1 shot.

Are there "better rifles and calibers" I am sure there are but for me personally I love my weatherby's...

To each their own and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Weatherbys have just fit me...

I cannot argue with that. I have sold many a Mark V in the various Wby mag calibers. What we would do if we had more than one MKV in a caliber that the buyer wanted we would bring out all of them so he could choose between the best wood stock.

It was not uncommon for us to have four or five MKV rifles so the hunter can compare one over the other. The idea that you don't want to scratch a wood stock is not reason enough not to buy one. Every scratch or dent in a wood stock tells a great story that particular hunt.

Wood stocks on rifles have been around a lot longer than composite(plastic) stocks. The centuries that men hunted and defended themselves never had any problems feeding their families or keeping the villains away with a rifle that had a wood stock.

Right now one of the most popular wood stock rifles are the Browning Gold Medallion with the Maple stock. They are very popular they are hard to keep in stock.

I have a Browning X-Bolt with a walnut stock and I'm just as accurate with that as I am with the X-Bolt composite stalker. Nearly all of my rifles are wood stock. I got the composite stalker used a a very, very good price I couldn't pass it up.
Maple is amazing. My uncle had a custom Mauser with a birdseye maple stock when I was a kid. I thought that was the best looking rifle ever. The deep bluing really aet it off.

I've been hunting with the 300wby mag for 12 years. My dadbhas been using it for 30+. I've killed several elk with mine a couple at further than 600. My dad has killed alot more than me but not as long of ranges. We've loved using them. My brother has a 300 win mag and I wasn't impressed with how much faster the bullet drops compared with the 300wby. Last year I won a new scope at the outdoors expo and wasn't about to take my Vortex off my 300. So I opted for a 30 nosler. It's supposed to shoot flatter and faster with less powder than the 300wby. I didnt realize how expensive the brass was being a newer cartridge. But I killed a bull elk with it last year. I can honestly say with the muzzle brake that came with it it kicks less than my old 30-06. I dialed the scope in and had my son shoot it for his first time at 800 yards and he hit the 12" rock on the first shot. I have to laugh now because not very many people have a 30 nosler so there's actually some on the shelves in some stores. That's my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.