What is a great rifle but is not high in price?

Is this a "Package Gun", with the Simmons scope?

If it is then you have aluminum rings and bases which are junk! Savage does NOT Loc-Tite the screws and they can come loose.

Buy some good bases and rings ( steel IMO ), and make sure the front base screw is not bottomed out, and use loc-tite.
If you can afford a better scope then that would be next.

If you have a Tupperware stock then a Bi-Pod may be a little bit jumpy! I bed the Tupperware stocks and add a third sling swivel just in front of the recoil lug and it makes for a more solid rest.

edge.

Edge has it right. Watch the stock and the scope & rings. They make a great barrel & action IMO, but they have to cut the cost of manufacture somewhere, and those are it....

[ QUOTE ]
Ok thanks guys. Also, Maico, the things I use to clean my weapon is Remington 40 X cleaner, and Rem Oil. They both work great from what I know and from the reviews I have seen. My scope is a bushnell, can't remember which one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Once I find out what kind of Bushnell scope it is I will tell you guys.

Hopefully everything works out and again, thanks for the help. I think this place is great and people like you will keep me coming back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Also, can anyone recommend a Savage rifle that they have used or know someone that used and it is great?

[/ QUOTE ]

The model 11 Savage is a great rifle for the price. Very accurate right out of the box. I just purchased 2. One off of auctionarms.com and the other from gunbroker.com. One in a .308 and the other in a 7mm-08. One was 349 and the other 375 plus about 15 dollars in shipping. Both NIB. Look around on those websites and you can find those deals not to infrequently. Heck, for that much money, you could take the actions and build a custom rifle around them. For me, I am going to leave them alone, as they are accurate enough for what I am going to use them for.

By the way, both of those rifles are in a wooden stock that is nicely finished.

A great rifle is the one that has been chosen to fill your actual needs. Start by throwing brand names out of your mind for a minute and think about terrain, intended game animals and the average realistic yardages shot. Did you come up with a 45-70 or a 50BMG. Maybe your like me, Its an even bet on whether my rifle or me makes it to the bottom of the hill first. For people that have retrieved there rifle out of a river with a salmon pole, Ruger is a good choice. All of the major brands have particular strengths and weaknesses. Do you need controlled, push feed, 3 position safety. integral or weaver mounts, or a set trigger. Do you need high accuracy or one that works full of mud. Some people choose a rifle for a problem cure, an example is safety location, tang button safetys stay put while back packing side lever safetys rub open. Some like open sights with a quick attach scope mount. Maybe the most popular rifle in your area is popular for a reason.

The first thing you need to do is read. A LOT. Right now, you don't even know what you don't know. Read here, also go to 24fhourcampfire.com, and maybe snipershide. Read everything you can find on shooting and technique. Don't post. You don't know what to ask. You are here saying you are having trouble, yet you ask about buying a good cheap gun. You don't need a new rifle, you need to learn the one you have,and learn to shoot. Don't register on those other sites just yet, especially snipershide, they will chew you up and spit you out.
As for cleaning, get some Wipe-out. It is a good copper cleaner that does not contain ammonia, so it does not smell toxic. It cleans very well, and is easy to use. Give it several minutes to work, and use it until you get no blue on the patch. You don't necessarily need to clean, some barrels like to be clean, some like to be dirty. My long range gun has over two hundred rounds thru it, and is still accurate.
You don't say what you have for base and rings. If you have a weaver one piece base, it will suffice. If you want to stay with inexpensive rings, the Weaver Quad-locks are good. Any quality ring will do you good.
If you bought a package deal, the scope is probably cheap junk. If it is not at least a Banner, get something good. As stated above, the Buckmaster is good. I think it is the best for the money right now. The Bushnell Elite is also good.
When you get a good scope, take off everything and remount . Make sure the base sits flat and true on the action. If it does not, you will have to bed it so there is no distortion. That is as simple as using some JB weld to fill the space under the base. After all the reading you do, you will know what I am talking about. Make sure your rings are low enough that you can get a good, consistent cheek weld on the stock. If you can not get a good sight picture with your cheek on the stock, you will need a spacer on the stock to lift your eye to scope level. You will have to have a consistant shooting style in order to know that it is not you causing the problems.
Use a good set of benchrest bags instead of a bipod. A bipod off a hard bench, it will usually cause bouncing. A good bag set-up, will give you the stability you need.
Factory ammo is kind of a crap shoot. You will have to try different kinds, in order to find something your rifle likes. This may take a while, but it will give you the shooting experience you need. If you find something that shows promise, use it to refine your technique. By the time you get done with all of this, you will have a lot better idea of what you are doing, and a lot of things you do not realize, will be apparent.
If this seems to much trouble, you really don't want to get better at shooting. This is a natural progression with shooting. It really is fun, and the more you do it, the better you will get.
As you go along, keep us updated, and we will give adittional advice and critique. Most here are always interested in helping new shooters.

Since the thread is from late 2006 and the original poster hasn't even visited LRH since late 2007, I doubt that he will see these replies of May 2011...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.