What is a great rifle but is not high in price?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by MarioT, Dec 29, 2006.

1. MarioT

MarioT Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. Right now I own a Stevens Model 200 30-06 and it is a good rifle from what I know, which is very little (about things such as this). It needs some things, like the scope needs to be adjusted and maybe it needs to be cleaned better or something. I havnt had it to long, but since i've been using it the accuracy has decreased, its probably the scope though. I clean it everytime I fire.

Well to get the to the main subject, does anybody know of a good/great rifle(s) that performs good in all or most conditions and that has good/great accuracy and is not to high in price?

Thanks a lot,
    Mario

*Well I have just read that this part of the forums is not actually meant for questions. I am very sorry for posting here, I am new here, even knowing I should of read it first. This will be my last post in this part of the forums. So again im sorry.*

2. stxhunter

stxhunter Well-Known Member

savage

3. MarioT

MarioT Well-Known Member

Ok, so Savage Arms are good rifles and arent to high in price? I have a Stevens... which is technically Savage, but it is a cheaper part of it of Savage or something?

4. jeff 300

jeff 300 Well-Known Member

savage is the best buy out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! steven is savages old 110 action before they had the acutrigger i have four of them. i just built a 3006 off of a stevens for a friend he had 875.00 dollars in it and it shoots great 5 shot groups at 100 that you can cover up with a dime. it has a 27" barrel with brake and a stockade stock with the factory trigger set at 2.5#'s. i love my savages

5. MarioT

MarioT Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Hmmm, atm I dont have enough money to make a custom rifle... i need the money for other things. But as of now, how can I have the accuracy better on my stevens 200? The scope might be off? I took off the bipod, and I might take off the scope and see whats going on with that, i'm not sure though.

What ammunition do you use?

6. jeff 300

jeff 300 Well-Known Member

as for as helping your rifle as it sets. you can glass bed the stock. use a one piece scope base and good rings like warne. i like to use all steel no aluminum parts for me it's to soft. i even glass bed the scope base to the action. but the best thing you can do for any rifle is to put good glass on it. do your self a favor and get a good scope if you don't have one. nikon buck master is great way to go and not spend a lot. i have two 6x18 buckmasters and they are good scopes. if it was me the scope,base, and rings would be my first step. you can have the best built rifle in the world and it will only shoot good as the scope you put on it. it would be like having a race car with a 4 banger in it. it just doesn't work. you need to call sharp shoot supply and talk to fred he is a great guy to deal with. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ he can give you all the help you need for a savage and he sales a one piece scope base that is real good. with just a little work on that rifle and good ammo it should be a shooter. as for as ammo goes most on here reload. but you can buy some loaded stuff that is real good. take a look at black hills ammo. i have shot it and it is good stuff. hornady and fedral load some good rounds as well but you need to stay with the higher end stuff. hope this helps. but don't let someone tell you a savage will not shoot there are a lot of guys that will look down on savage. savage is one the best shotting rifle out of the box you can buy. i love the look on there face when you smoke there a$$ at the range and they ask what kind of rifle is that a sako,weatherby and you reply no just a cheap o savage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Maico

Maico Well-Known Member

If your accuracy has dropped off it probably has copper in the bore. Get a "good" bore-copper cleaner and clean the bore. Most complaints I hear are the same as yours. "It was shooting good and the more we shot it the worst it got". Then I would say "have you cleaned the barrel". They "yea we clean it all the time" me "did you use a copper solvent?" them "what's that". So you're not the only one.. it happens all the time. Bore cleaners...ask six people and maybe get six answers...but I like 50BMG by Montana and Wipeout seems to be popular..I've never used it. Give it a good cleaning and see what she does then.

8. MarioT

MarioT Well-Known Member

Ok thanks guys. Also, Maico, the things I use to clean my weapon is Remington 40 X cleaner, and Rem Oil. They both work great from what I know and from the reviews I have seen. My scope is a bushnell, can't remember which one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Once I find out what kind of Bushnell scope it is I will tell you guys.

Hopefully everything works out and again, thanks for the help. I think this place is great and people like you will keep me coming back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Also, can anyone recommend a Savage rifle that they have used or know someone that used and it is great?

9. radnur22

radnur22 Well-Known Member

i concur with maico. get a good foam copper cleaner. you'll be amazed on how much copper fouling you have in the bore.

10. 1doug

1doug Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the things I use to clean my weapon is Remington 40 X cleaner, and Rem Oil. They both work great from what I know and from the reviews I have seen

[/ QUOTE ]

you need a good copper remover, they are a lot better cleaners out there than the ones you are using.

d-a

11. MarioT

MarioT Well-Known Member

Well ok then, d-a, can you please help me out and recommend some? Which ones do you use?

I talked to Remington and the place I bought it and they said it works great, i'm sure there are better ones out there though.

Thanks.

12. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

If you will email me some contact info, ill mail you a couple to try. Personally I use montana extreme 50bmg, and wipeout bore foam for copper, and GM top engine cleaner for carbon.
    Take out the carbon, then the copper.
    Ill send you some GM TEC, barnes CR-10, and maybe some wipeout if I can find a partial can around here.

13. Dead Beat

Dead Beat Well-Known Member

i use the BMG 50 also good stuff

14. MarioT

MarioT Well-Known Member

Ok, I might shoot you an email when I have the time... what is your email?