What if-- The real story on new 338 bullets from Hornady

BountyHunter

Ok guys finally ran down the real scoop. (I think :D, but at least it is direct from Hornady)

I knew that Hornady had been working a 338 for about 5 years now and suddenly last year the guy I had been talking with at Hornady developed amnesia and could not remember anything about a 338. This was after he told me the long stroke machine was ready except the OSHA guards two years ago.

When I called him yesterday he pleaded no knowledge again, so I went to the smith who I knew had been working with Accuracy International and Hornady on these bullets to get enough particulars and then call the Hornady engineer who was working these bullets.

Hornady has made a 285 grain 338 bullet and has run about 200,000 of them already. It is a little longer than the 300 SMK, length is 1.7" with an 8 degree boattail. BC is estimated to be .710-.715. It has only been shot to a little over 3000 fps and has not been run with a 408 sized case and the MVs that would come there. they do not foresee the nose slump issue that Berger had but they have not tested it.. but then neither did Berger. I am trying to get 200-400 now. They have not been officially released as of yet.

They also have a prototype 30 caliber that is currently being tested at 225 grains (not the 300 that was originally told to me). BC is running .700-.710. They are still experimenting with different weights and it is not anywere near ready to release.

both bullets are standard jacket/core with no plastic tip.

I do not have the specs on the case, but it looks like at least the 30 is using the 375 Hornady necked to 30 and running 2870 with a 26" barrel.

I am trying to find out when and who will have the 338s once officially released.

BH

Last edited:
BH, do you think the press Berger has got recently has led Hornady (your contact) to all of a sudden get quiet? Maybe they don't want to even hint about a new 338 bullet until all testing is a 100% twice over thus avoiding wrong expectations until they are sure.

Chas1

No the guy I had originally been talking to developed amnesia 1-2 years ago about a 338. This is after we spent 45 minutes talking about it at one of the 1000 yard Nationals 3 yrs ago. In our last conversation I reminded him that the engineer that is really working it shot a prototype 300 at the 1000 nationals in NC 5 years ago and we all looked at them. They were using an Armalite AR338 and shot 9" groups of 10 shots, which sure is not shabby for a production $1400 gun.

Outsider looking it, looks like AI and Hornady teamed up to knock the socks of the competition (Remington in this case) on the SOF sniper solicitation. They kept the smith real quiet, and Hornady until now. Both Rem and AI have top notch operator interchangable barrel systems and the Hornady 30 cal really has people looking at it.

About 5 months ago I was talking with an AI VP and I mentioned that I knew the smith working with them and he was very surprised that I knew.

However, the Hornady engineer was sure aware of the issue with Berger nose slump. I was surprised he did not ask me how I found out about the new bullet and what info I had.

Anyway, we have another 338 bullet, now to see if it will hold up to the 408 case MV.

Anyway,

Very interesting. A 225gr 30 cal is certainly an easier idea to concede to. The notion that they do not yet have a tip to promote expansion at long range and low velocities is dissapointing. Aparently thier main goal was millitary use first, target second, and maybe before its all said and done a L/R hunting bullet. I will be anxious to see where they go with all this.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, and brought up on the latest BH. Much appreciated.

BH, thanks for responding and the insight. +1 on keeping us in the loop as you hear things unfolding.

Thank you for the heads up BH.
Mr Tooley seems to be a strait up guy from what I just read. He even took time to give Berger credit for doing what theyve done in the development of a high b.c. 338 bullet. I like a guy like that.

emailed hornday the othe day telling them my interest in a 278gr. or so Amax. And also expressed my interest in an SST Extreme (amax profile with SST design - the canelure.)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.