What factory ammo for 7MM?

Tmanstein

New to long shooting guys.

I have a Rem Sendero in 7MM, 9.25 twist, Jewell trigger, and Nightforce SHV 5-20x56.

Need some opinions on factory ammo and grains as I am not set up to reload yet. Gun will be used for long range steel shooting and hunting from 100-500.

Thanks in advance.

New to long shooting guys.

I have a Rem Sendero in 7MM, 9.25 twist, Jewell trigger, and Nightforce SHV 5-20x56.

Need some opinions on factory ammo and grains as I am not set up to reload yet. Gun will be used for long range steel shooting and hunting from 100-500.

Thanks in advance.

Check out HSM's in 140, 168, and 180 Berger VLDs >>> I.Q. Metals Inc. - 7mm Remington Magnum

I have a few partial boxes I need to part with. It would save ya a fist full of cash compared to buying different brands to try out. PM me if you're interested

With the rate of twist, 1 : 9,25, you are talking about it will be difficult to get the heavier bullets stabilized. As f. ex. >175gr . So everything between 140 - 162gr should fit the bill.

Last edited:
With the rate of twist, 1 : 9,25, you are talking about it will be difficult to get the heavier bullets stabilized. As f. ex. >175gr . So everything between 140 - 162gr should fit the bill.

My hunting buddy has no problem stabilizing HSM's 180 Berger VLD out of his WBTY MKV Weathermark with 1:9.5". He harvested a MT bull elk with it in 2013 at 300 yards and a cow elk in 2012 at 150 yards.

Guys thanks for all the advice. I should have mentioned that I was debating between the HSM 168VLD or the Federal Premium Sierra GK 165. I can get the FP SGK at my local gunshop for a good price but would have to order the HSM's online.

Does anyone have any experience with FP Sierra GK 165 SBT?

Does anyone have any experience with FP Sierra GK 165 SBT?

Shot them for years. Taken lots of deer and even an elk with them. They were accurate. Just not the highest BC for long range stuff. In the end what matters is what will shoots best in your rifle. I think they are worth a try. Good luck.

berger are going to give the best long range accuracy. no way to tell for a given load how it is going to groups. without reloading try a bunch of different ones can get a little expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.