What factory ammo for 280 Ackley break in

valleysnyper

Hi guys, I'm thinking about using REG 280 Rem factory ammo for my barrel break in on my 280 AI rifle build. I know I'll be fireforming as I do this. Does anyone see any problems doing it this way ? I don't see waisting any good Ackley ammo or the money if not needed...Gary

Hi guys, I'm thinking about using REG 280 Rem factory ammo for my barrel break in on my 280 AI rifle build. I know I'll be fireforming as I do this. Does anyone see any problems doing it this way ? I don't see waisting any good Ackley ammo or the money if not needed...Gary

Nope, but IIWY, get the one with the brass that you will reload later.

The nice thing about an Ackley, Is that you can use the factory ammo to do the brake in and if it is set up with the traditional .004 thousandths compression fit, It can also have good hunting accuracy saving separate fire forming.

Even though you may want to use heavy bullets, I recommend using the 140 grain Remington loads for fire forming. (They do a great job of forming the brass to your chamber and are easy on the brass).

If your rifle was head spaced with the standard 280 head space gauge, you will have no problems. If it was head spaced with the new SAMME gauge, it may have to much head space and you will have to shoot factory loaded 280 AI ammo from the first. (It is slightly longer).

J E CUSTOM

Going to jump in with a question. Hope I'm not highjacking the thread. I have a Cooper 92 coming in a 280 Ackley. Not very knowledgeable on fire forming brass. So would I be able to purchase 280 ammo and shoot it through my rifle safely and end up with 280 Ackley brass. Thank you

Going to jump in with a question. Hope I'm not highjacking the thread. I have a Cooper 92 coming in a 280 Ackley. Not very knowledgeable on fire forming brass. So would I be able to purchase 280 ammo and shoot it through my rifle safely and end up with 280 Ackley brass. Thank you

As a courtesy to the OP, it is best to have your own separate post. Having said that, check out JEC's post.

Last edited:
I have 280AI and I purchased Nosler 280AI brass and broke barrel in with test loads.

I got 280AI build before spec 280AI and I fire form brass for that also have 35 WhelenAI,243AI,222AI, so have no problem doing it. My little 222AI I fire form brass shooting PD.

Nosler has Technical Information page on page 380 in their manual on fire forming 280 Rem case for the 280AI. I would think anyone having question might be better to call them.

If your not going to reload just buy several different 280AI loads and see which one the gun likes.

Agree - buy some factory 280ai ammo - just to make sure your rifle doesn't shoot really well! You still have fire formed brass when you are done. I had plans with my 280ai mountain ascent to fire form using factory 280 rounds and develop a load. But I bought 1 box of each type of factory ammo just to see what it did.... turns out it puts factory 140gr 280ai nosler accubonds into the same hole! Load development done before it started! 280 rem is half the price of 280ai factory ammo though

I'm not sure where you're headed with this?

Are you planning to hand load? If so, buy the brass that you intend to use and the fireforming / break-in happens all at once.

If you're not going to hand load then yes, it's safe to use standard factory 280 ammo in your rifle.

Here's a 25 shot group I shot while fire forming 22-250AI brass at 100 yards. Now this was hand loads with a .005 jam into the lands.

One thing I'll say is if hand loading, spend the coin up front and buy premium brass; Lapua, Norma or Nosler. Quality brass is the foundation to a quality load.
25 shot group.jpg 250AI fire forming.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.