What electric brass trimmer does everyone use? Lyman, Giraud?

fnlights

Considering upgrading to an electric brass trimmer and I am curious as to what everyone uses. There seems to be a wide variety of options ranging from $150 - $1,000+.

I am considering something like the Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress (https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/case-trimmers-accessories/brass-smith-case-trim-xpresstm).

I just don't know if it is worth upgrading to like a Giraud at that point? (https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-power-trimmer.html). I do like that this one automatically chamfers and deburs - helps make sure everything is consistent

I have heard good things about the Henderson - but I do not shoot NEARLY enough to be spending $1,000+ on a trimmer.

I just don't know if it is worth upgrading to like a Giraud at that point? (https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-power-trimmer.html). I do like that this one automatically chamfers and deburs - helps make sure everything is consistent

I have heard good things about the Henderson - but I do not shoot NEARLY enough to be spending $1,000+ on a trimmer.
I have a Henderson and really like it. It's pricey, but I like quality tools that make my time on the bench more enjoyable and, if possible, productive ... maybe yield 'better' results too. Some of this experience is subjective though. Plenty of people can enjoy less expensive equipment, and still have good-enough results down-range for their task.

99% of reloaders (me included) don't shoot enough, or in demanding-enough situations to justify the cost of 99% of our equipment ... to me it's not a cost-benefit thing ... if it were, it certainly would be cheaper to buy a factory rifle and shoot factory ammo.

Ultimately, deciding if it's worth upgrading to a Giraud or Henderson is up to you, and what you determine makes the most sense given your expectations in the reloading room and down-range. Of course, money is a factor too ...

Have fun no matter how you decide.

I would love to own a high-end trimmer but i load for myself, 2 sons, and a grandson. I cant justify buying and storing all the unique cutter heads for over 20 cartridges. I needed something universal and settled on the FA. It's not quick to set up, I have to sneak up on the proper cutter Depth settings a little at a time till I hit the measurement I want. But once locked down it doesn't move and I can process a batch fairly quickly.

I would love to own a high-end trimmer but i load for myself, 2 sons, and a grandson. I cant justify buying and storing all the unique cutter heads for over 20 cartridges. I needed something universal and settled on the FA. It's not quick to set up, I have to sneak up on the proper cutter Depth settings a little at a time till I hit the measurement I want. But once locked down it doesn't move and I can process a batch fairly quickly.
20? What 20 calibers do you trim?

Henderson all the way. Extremely fast, accurate, and uniform. Not sure where you're seeing $1,000 plus for one, that's above MSRP. They also go on sale from tiem to time if you sign up for their letter.
It ends up being around $1,000 after you add in a few cartridge's

I will sign up for the letter head though and see if they go on sale.

I like the Frankford Arsenal as you can case prep and trim all on the same machine.
But I still use the Lee trimmer https://www.opticsplanet.com/lee-90437-deluxe-qk-trim-case-trimmer.html?sscid=c1k6_jxg17
And have the case tools for the calibers I use and still don't have much in the trimmer as a whole and it's accurate and fast if you get the adapter to use a drill.Even with the rotory adapter it's still pretty fast as long as you aren't doing 100 cases at a time.

I would love to own a high-end trimmer but i load for myself, 2 sons, and a grandson. I cant justify buying and storing all the unique cutter heads for over 20 cartridges. I needed something universal and settled on the FA.
for the Henderson, cutter heads are unique by caliber, not cartridge. One 6mm caliber cutter covers all 6mm cartridges ... one cutter for 6.5mm ... one cutter for .308 ... so on ... you won't end up with 20 cutters.

It's not quick to set up, I have to sneak up on the proper cutter Depth settings a little at a time till I hit the measurement I want. But once locked down it doesn't move and I can process a batch fairly quickly.
you're already doing the same amount of work that it takes to initially setup up trim length using the Henderson methodology. I've never used the FA, so I'm just trying to understand, if you switch from one cartridge to another do you have to do that initial setup again, or is every cartridge trim length established for life once you do the initial setup?

With Henderson, it takes a little time to sneak up on the trim length that you want initially (method uses a SHCS with lock nut to establish trim length). Once its set, that SHCS/nut combo is reserved for that cartridge and you don't have to set it ever again. Swapping cutters and/or SHCS/nut combos from one established cartridge to another takes a minute ... really simple, fast, and precise.

I've got a Giraud and I love it. I have a FA prep center that I used before it worked well but not nearly as fast or consistent as the Giraud. I don't have an abundance of time so the few extra bucks for speed was really worth it for me.

Last edited:
I have the Giraud Triway(mounted in a small drill press) and use it for processing 5.56 brass. It is nice in that it chamfers and deburrs at the same time as it trims. Combined with the Lee APP press, it makes processing large quantities of 5.56 brass quick and easy. 5.56 and 9mm are the only bulk calibers that I do on a regular basis. I really like the Lee Case Length Gauges for doing all my other precision calibers. They are easy to use and give precise results. When paired with a cordless drill and the three jaw chuck, you can trim, chamfer, debur, and brush the inside of the case necks in short order with match grade results.

Last edited:
with all the manual trimmers having an adaptor for your cordless drill that you have already why spend $1000. much better off getting a few custom sizing dies that won't over size your brass resulting in less trimming and longer brass life. that's a win win for your wallet.
Could not agree more. A power screw driver set up on my LE Wilson trimmer is 100% spot on consistent for 1/4 the price.

Considering upgrading to an electric brass trimmer and I am curious as to what everyone uses. There seems to be a wide variety of options ranging from $150 - $1,000+.

I am considering something like the Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress (https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/case-trimmers-accessories/brass-smith-case-trim-xpresstm).

What I need is Carbide cutter for my RCBS pro trimmer!