What do you think? New Gun

triton20

While on our annual trip to Montana, I purchased a new gun with the help of a knownledgable friend. I made a 490 yard shot on Antelope with his gun and some 200+ with my 25-06. Now I am HOOKED. Keep in mind, I am from Mississippi where any shot over 100 yards is unusual. I wanted a rifle with long range capabilities that both my son and I could use on our annual trip. I purchased a Remington model 700 XCRII .300 Ultra Mag. My friend and his father are setting it up. 20X Leopold scope, and sherman tank muzzle brake. They are going to determine all the data for the scope adjustments. He will bring it down south in the spring when he comes down for fishing with us.
My question is there something else I should consider to add to the set up?

Personally, I think you should look into a variable power scope. Should you want to make a shorter shot, that 20x will make the shot awfully hard to do. Bullet choice is essential. Good luck to ya and welcome to the addiction.

Tank

+1 on the variable power scope and handloading, I use the .300 RUM here in mt. and the shots can vary so much that the fixed 20 power can be a problem.

I have zero experience with the XCRII.... I suggest making sure the action is properly bedded & make sure the barrel is floated, the RUM family generate a LOT of heat (as any cartridge that burns in the the neighborhood of 100grns of powder). With heat comes expansion & the possibility of stringing your shots if there is a pressure point in the barrel channel.

I'm interested in your response to the provided information as the first thing that came to my mind when you said "20x Leupold" was the usual 6.5-20, but we all know what happens when you assume things!

I think you are on your way to a great setup with the XCRII, the RUM with a break, also what type of rings & base are you using on your setup? If you take any advise from these responses HAVE THE TRIGGER ADJUSTED, that is IMO the very first thing to do when starting out with a new rifle (with the exception of the accu-triggers i have).

Sorry, I was not clear, it is a variable scope. I appreciate the help and will look in to the trigger work. As to be bedding, what do you recommend?
As to the reloading, I thought I would look into it after I get the gun this spring and do some shooting, but one thing at a time. Again thanks for all the good suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.