What Die Set For 300WM

tweek1142

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a new Sendero in 300WM. This will be my first belted magnum i have reloaded. What die set should i be looking at. I surfed Midway a little and read some of their reviews but it didn't really help point me in any direction. Also, if there is anything different about a belted Mag i should know about? What does the Belt affect when reloading, What should i watch for? Thanks for the help in advance.

I use redding fl dies myself for my 300 win, but everyone's got an opinion on dies. Set your dies up like any non-belted round and bump the shoulder a couple of thou. back from fired dimension and call it a day.

I reload for one of my buddies who has a 300 WM, and I use RCBS FL dies (he bought them). I recommend using neck-sizers for bolt-actions, so the brass stays fire-formed. Also, the neck-sizer dies don't work the brass so much, so your brass tends to last longer than if you are FL sizing (from what I was told).

The 300 win is one of my most respected chamberings. I have set up, done load development and hunted with them for years. If you want to go top shelf, and get very true hand loads I recommend the Redding Competition 3 die set. You will have the adjustability on neck tension with changeable bushings in the neck die. The neck die also captures the entire case before any sizing is done keeping things true. You can purchase a stepped set of shell holders to easily set up the body die for perfect shoulder bump. And also a seating die that will capture the case while seating the bullet to a very consistent seating depth controlled with a micrometer setting on top. These are not cheap, but they preform to great levels and will make life easier for you.

And yes, ignore the belt and head space off the shoulder.

Jeff

The 300 win is one of my most respected chamberings. I have set up, done load development and hunted with them for years. If you want to go top shelf, and get very true hand loads I recommend the Redding Competition 3 die set. You will have the adjustability on neck tension with changeable bushings in the neck die. The neck die also captures the entire case before any sizing is done keeping things true. You can purchase a stepped set of shell holders to easily set up the body die for perfect shoulder bump. And also a seating die that will capture the case while seating the bullet to a very consistent seating depth controlled with a micrometer setting on top. These are not cheap, but they preform to great levels and will make life easier for you.

And yes, ignore the belt and head space off the shoulder.

Jeff

This is what I run. Worth the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.