die set suggestion

cohunt

got a 300 wsm coming in a a month or 2 -- saami chamber
right now for my other rifles, I use a full length set with expander mandrel for final neck size some of my dies are just factory with the expander ball removed, some are bushing dies with no expander ball --- I think I want to try a micrometer seater die this time too--I kinda like the idea of the whidden click adjustable dies but not sure its necessary as Ive been able to keep my shoulder bump consistent with out them so far

in other die sets I have just about every brand, not sure If I have found a "clear winner" when it comes to manufacture, but I have had 1 company that had a bad die (lyman), could have been a fluke as thats the only lyman die set I have ever bought --- what brand do you use for least run out, best consistency

I heard that some guys really like the std FL size dies that have been honed to their chamber/neck dimensions base off of fired brass--which manu's do this? Im pretty sure Forster does and I think redding and whidden do also

the problem I see with a honed die is that I usually have 2-3 different bullet/loads and often times 1 bullet will like a different neck tension than the other (usually 1 or 2 thou) -- I have found that a slight undersized neck expanded with a mandrel gets me better numbers and performance than just using a bushing alone so I prefer to do it that way---also with a honed die I know I will need to buy enough brass of same manu/lot so that I dont need to worry about different neck thicknesses later (though I usually neck turn so I could adjust for this as long as the necks are thick enough to turn)

basically-- after rambling, what I'm asking is what type/brand of die set have worked best for you

thoughts? and opinions

I have only used the Redding 2-Die sets and I purchase the micrometer seating stem from Redding. I then use Redding Competition Shell Holders for fine tuning sizing. I pulled the decapping stem out and deprime with a Lee universal die and run a .002 Sinclair Tin mandrel to set neck tension. Fairly

Although I don't have much reloading experience, they have worked awesome so far.

Hope this helps!
Steve

I have always gotten the least runout using a Forster die with a honed neck of my choice and a custom expander from them also.
I have also honed RCBS dies successfully and they have been very good for minimal runout also.
I ran a test several years ago regarding runout.
At 600mtr, no discernible difference could be found across .001"-.008" runout with TUNED loads, so I rarely check anymore, but feel confident that Forster's BR dies are very very good.

Cheers.

I dont use neck dies, just full length.

Can the size die be custom honed by them?
How about the Redding comp seater with FL neck bushing die.
Expander mandrel.

Although you can get the same results but a bit cheaper with the Forster equivelents but I like the Reddings myself.

The Hornady sets have a nice seater die with a floating sleeve to align the case neck with the bullet and you can upgrade with an inexpensive micrometer stem. You can also get a deluxe set with the micrometer and a bushing sizing die if you like that better than a full length sizing die.

My attempt at making really consistent brass and ammo will use a Redding body die for shoulder bump, a custom Lee collet neck sizer die (based off my once fired brass), a Lee universal depriming die and a Hornady seater with micrometer stem bedded with Devcon 10110 to create consistent contact with the ogive during seating.

The Lee die is supposed to be good at setting neck tension and creating a really concentric neck.

I'm also going to uniform primer pockets and flash holes, neck turn, weight sort, etc.

You can spend a lot more than a Hornady set, a micrometer stem, a used Redding body die and a $75 Lee custom die. I'm sure you can get really nice dies but they kind of force you to adopt a certain method that might not size the brass perfectly for your chamber.

I want to be able to adjust every step along the way which is why I'm using three different brands and a custom die. If I'm not getting the results I want, I am willing to change any part of that if it doesn't work for me.

basically-- after rambling, what I'm asking is what type/brand of die set have worked best for you
thoughts? and opinions
I don't think there's a better die out there than a Wilson. I also use an arbor press for seating, but for sizing, Wilson is great. However, I also have 2 Redding body dies, a neck sizer bushing die, 2 more f/l bushing dies (one for Norma, one for Winchester) and a Forster honed f/l die and 9 or 10 bushings, all in 6.5-284... (And I forgot, I also use the mandrels for final neck sizing, and a Wilson inside neck reamer for donuts)
Ok, so I might be a bit obsessive, but in my defense, it took 8 years to accumulate all that stuff.

got a 300 wsm coming in a a month or 2 -- saami chamber
right now for my other rifles, I use a full length set with expander mandrel for final neck size some of my dies are just factory with the expander ball removed, some are bushing dies with no expander ball --- I think I want to try a micrometer seater die this time too--I kinda like the idea of the whidden click adjustable dies but not sure its necessary as Ive been able to keep my shoulder bump consistent with out them so far

in other die sets I have just about every brand, not sure If I have found a "clear winner" when it comes to manufacture, but I have had 1 company that had a bad die (lyman), could have been a fluke as thats the only lyman die set I have ever bought --- what brand do you use for least run out, best consistency

I heard that some guys really like the std FL size dies that have been honed to their chamber/neck dimensions base off of fired brass--which manu's do this? Im pretty sure Forster does and I think redding and whidden do also

the problem I see with a honed die is that I usually have 2-3 different bullet/loads and often times 1 bullet will like a different neck tension than the other (usually 1 or 2 thou) -- I have found that a slight undersized neck expanded with a mandrel gets me better numbers and performance than just using a bushing alone so I prefer to do it that way---also with a honed die I know I will need to buy enough brass of same manu/lot so that I dont need to worry about different neck thicknesses later (though I usually neck turn so I could adjust for this as long as the necks are thick enough to turn)

thoughts? and opinions
I have found the wilson dies work great for my wsm with 180 gr. Accubonds

Best value Forster benchrest competition dies. On par with Redding but half the price. I have and use both. Total confidence and small groups with both.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.