What chronograph

Not in my case. POI maybe a tad off, but group size remains the same.
I don't know what you guys use a Chronograph for, but I use it to tell me how well my loads are being developed. If my standard deviation is small, that's what matters to me, because it tells me my cases have very close volumes, and my powder is being metered out uniformly. These are the things that lead to tight groups.

If I could afford it I'd love to have a LabRadar. I have my own range so no interference problems. I've had a Pact Model 1 (now an XL) since 1994 (I think... somewhere in there). It's been back to Pact twice and upgraded once (2012), the first time around '99 and again last year. The skyscreens have always been a problem, keeping them aligned just so with regards to the sun angle. My range is surrounded by trees, so there are only certain hours when I can use it. It's kind of a pain. Until I got it back last year it was a real love/hate relationship. When it worked, it was great. When it didn't it was major headaches! Sometimes it would read one type of bullet (fer instance, a 130gr. .270 W) but when I switched to the 150gr. it might refuse to work. Grrrrr! Especially frustrating when you're using those high dollar, extra fancy bullets, too. At times it would only read in a small, 1" square area over the screens, which usually leads to eventually poking a hole in the screen housing. Grrrr! Since I've gotten it back this last time, however, it's been working like a charm and once again I'm a happy camper! The next time it starts screwing up, however, may be it's last because I'm liable to get really, really ticked and just shoot the s.o.b! I've come close in the past but always let it ride... but one of these days... POW! Plastic parts all over!
Cheers,
crkckr

I don't know what you guys use a Chronograph for, but I use it to tell me how well my loads are being developed. If my standard deviation is small, that's what matters to me, because it tells me my cases have very close volumes, and my powder is being metered out uniformly. These are the things that lead to tight groups.
If you are way off the accuracy node with a load who cares if your SD is low or not. There's more to accuracy than low SD in your velocity. Find the node with different loads while checking EVERY case for signs of over pressure, then get the velocity after the most accurate load has been established.

Don't they have some type of adapter now similar to the jeffpatton00 post above? I could have sworn that I've seen them before.
Yes. It's made by Wiser and you can check it out at 6.5guys. It attaches a Magnetospeed to a hand guard or a front swivel stud. Gets that weight off of the muzzle for load development.

I have two Swifts, one is on a BR Action with Hart barrel. It is not a .250" gun, you will be hard pressed to see any swift shoot 1/4" consistently in any situation.

If you can get 1/2" consistently with a Swift, count your lucky stars.

And the tunnel is not magic, I have shot more zero groups outdoors than I have in the tunnel. There are allot of light bending issues and pressure pushes off the walls. So don't kid your self about shooting in a tunnel.

The only advantage is not having to deal with the general public while I am shooting.

Get a muzzle velocity and if you have a labradar challenge your bc for doping out to long distances?

I found the v3 works well at the range as a last step in confirming velocity. I also found that it did affect accuracy at distance. At 100 most ppl can't shoot the difference in accuracy.

My needs have changed to where I can justify the labradar. Shooting multiple rifles with the MS is a pain.

I use the V3, have a MPA attachment to mount to all my MPA chassis to hold bayonet. Simple. For my rifles that have conventional stocks I'll mount on barrel, get speed readings, then if necessary tweak zero, no big deal.

To have to attach it to your barrel that changes the barrel harmonics and load development is thrown off. Proven fact as that is why they use tuners to adjust the harmonics. You have retest loads when you are forced to take it off. Waste of time, barrels and bullets. Those are $
I'm in agreement with you exception of waist of time... cronos "usually" take longer to set up and break down granted it won't affect grouping.. if FPS is all your after. Magneto is fine. As for labradar... it is an advanced tool and will require a learning and testing curve. You will get the hang of it and then your hooked. If one is fortunate enough to be able to shoot during the week, there customer support loves helping as your shooting. Those that complain about it are still in the figureing it out stage.

Magnetospeed
Magneto is great for finding fps only. Only a free standing crono or labradar will give you FPS and not affect groups. By the time ya get the crono and the tripod connected to use and shoot, then after break back down and repack it It can be a pain In the ***. Don't forget that once you get it set up and now have to line it all up so as you don't shoot it. And when you do shoot through it that alignment has been spot on as well . Labradar is the best and easiest to use. Fastest to set up and take down

what type of chrono do you use?

I'm watching this thread and simply cannot agree with those who claim that the mag speed doesn't affect group size. I have seen this claim is not true. We develop loads based on deviation and the harmonics of the barrel. If you put just about any load in a 4" OD test barrel with low deviation they all shoot same hole or there abouts. The large OD is too stiff to vibrate. The simple fact that tunable breaks can open or close a group is absolute evidence that any weight on the end of a barrel affects group size. My cans move POI. However, I find that if Im going to use a can on any rifle, for max accuracy I must develop the load with the can on the gun.

Try developing a load without your heavy steel break and then shooting that same load with the large break on. While it might occasionally happen that no difference is noted, that is the exception not the rule. I suspect that people shooting a mag speed on a 20" hvy varmint or straight 22 cal barrel don't experience the effects of a few oz hanging off the muzzle the same as someone using a 26" light varmint or hunting taper might.

Unless your bullet contacts the chrono, The only chronos that cannot affect group size are opticals and labradar.
Any other claims are simply disproved by the laws of physics.

The labradar is pretty simple to use if you read the manual. And it is far more accurate than the mag speed or any optical.

The labradar also has one advantage that in inarguably beneficial to long range shooters that all others lack.

I can track speeds from muzzle to 100 yards, extrapolate pretty accurate drop/bc tables. Try that with a mag speed. So IMHO just spend the money on the labradar. Learn to use it correcty. You will buy one sooner or later anyway. Try selling your used mag speed. You might get 50-70% of what you paid and in the end the labradar will only cost you more.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.