What chronograph

Magneto is great for finding fps only. Only a free standing crono or labradar will give you FPS and not affect groups. By the time ya get the crono and the tripod connected to use and shoot, then after break back down and repack it It can be a pain In the ---. Don't forget that once you get it set up and now have to line it all up so as you don't shoot it. And when you do shoot through it that alignment has been spot on as well . Labradar is the best and easiest to use. Fastest to set up and take down
Disagree. I can setup the Magnetospeed in a couple of minutes. And, I use it on several guns with NO change in group size regardless of what others claim. And, I have never had a shot fail to record...maybe I am lucky or speaking from true experience. Happy other chronos work for you.

Been using my Caldwell optical for years I tested it against a friends magnetospeed and my ES was much better with the mag but my avg speed was only 1 fps different. If you shoot and change load a lot with many guns. The LR would be way to. But if you are a 3 or 4 gun hunter and don't change loads a lot get the optical or mag. I would not get the mag if you plan on grouping and checking FPS, on most lighter barrel guns it will change your POI

I have a magnetospeed v3 and like you, I was concerned about the barrel clamping arrangement altering the grouping during load development. I like tinkering so I built this bracket, which attaches to a picatinny rail on the bottom of my front handguard, and suspends the chrono's surface 0.200" below the bullet's line of travel. I mounted another pic rail on the bottom of the bracket for bipod attachment. I just bought a mill and I've thought about making these for folks who want one, but haven't started doing that yet.
Very cool

I use a Magnetospeed and love it. I've thought about getting a LabRadar but I see guys at the range struggling to get it to work and wonder if the guys online who say how easy it is to use are genius or what.
My chrony with two purple hearts has given years of good service. Numbers compare very close to factory speeds.

I completely agree. I think shooters hear that it shifts POI and they immediately discount it. Do your load development and get your velocity data after you find your node, it's not a hard concept.
I agree with SavageHunter11. I do not use any extraneous equipment (ie, any chronographs) during load development. I do not want anything to distract me from finding the load that is most accurate for my setup. Once I find the sweet spot, I will chronograph with a MS to establish muzzle velocity and resulting ballistics. I will then use a chrony for down range velocity and handgun load development.

I've got one of each of the big three types; optical, magnetospeed, and labradar.

The optical hasn't left it's bag since I got the labradar. I will most likely wind up eventually selling the magnetospeed.
Like you I have multiple Chronographs from over the years
Ohler 33m
2 pact Mk IV timers / Chronographs
and now a labradar
both the Oehler and Pact require sun screens and daylight to properly work, and also only will provide you with muzzle velocity.
the Labradar beats these hands down. (I'm in the process of selling the Oehler).

Very simple to use and the data can easily be transferred to you computer for future reference.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.