What Cartridge ? Rem 700 SA

Greg Duerr

I have a Remington 700 SA that started out as a 7mm-08 I have a McMillan stock and a Jewell Trigger

would appreciate suggestions for a Medium LR Cartridge for Deer and Antelope out to 600yds..................... I want a standard Cartridge not an Ackley..................

I have a Remington 700 SA that started out as a 7mm-08 I have a McMillan stock and a Jewell Trigger

would appreciate suggestions for a Medium LR Cartridge for Deer and Antelope out to 600yds..................... I want a standard Cartridge not an Ackley..................

Not wanting a magnum or an Ackley limits you somewhat but the choices I would probably
go with would be the 7/08 or the 260 Remington . Both are capable of 500 to 600yard kills.

I have gone past 500 yards with both pistol and rifle in 7/08 and got clean, one shot kills.

Many 1000 yard matches have been won using the 7/08 Remington.

I also like the 7/08x40 for the extra 150 ft/sec.

J E CUSTOM

Whats the 7mm/40 based on and will it work OK through a SA

The Reason I dont want a Ackley is that I have had two of them and both were a Pain to get to shoot...................................Both Custom Built by Different smiths...............both had some serious issues and now Im scared of them..........................I do like the 243AI or even a 7-08 AI but because of the bad experiances I have had Im really skiddish....................

Would like to talk to you about the Project, Let me know

Last edited:

The Reason I dont want a Ackley is that I have had two of them and both were a Pain to get to shoot...................................Both Custom Built by Different smiths...............both had some serious issues and now Im scared of them..........................I do like the 243AI or even a 7-08 AI but because of the bad experiances I have had Im really skiddish....................

Greg,

Please don't take this the wrong way; it seems like you had so much trouble in a lot of things I am having trouble keeping up. :):D:rolleyes::cool:

I say slow down until you figure out what all the challenges are. lightbulb

Just saying ...

Feenix

Refer to leadership rule #2

I'm not trying to, just offering to slow down (seriously though) ... as not to rush into things; it's part of the learning process.

Greg,

Please don't take this the wrong way; it seems like you had so much trouble in a lot of things I am having trouble keeping up. :):D:rolleyes::cool:

I say slow down until you figure out what all the challenges are. lightbulb

Just saying ...

I guess you took it the wrong way afterall!lightbulb

Having said that, that would be my last.

There are way to many issues or challenges that should not have been there in the first Place...........................The first issue was that the First Smith used an out dated reamer. Throat was to wide would not shoot boat tails..........Problem solved.
Re-barreled.

At the advice of a knowlegeable Ballistic Teck who heard my issues I was told that there are some serious issues with your Rifle..................

Your baffeled with issues and you bounce them off of other's as Im sure you have to.....................You take peoples advice and still no solution.

The Ballistic Teck told me what the problem was with the first issue and he was right..........................

There is no sound reason that this rifle should be having all these Issues........................................

If done correctly, the AI,s can be and are very good.

The 7/08x40 is simply a 7/08 blown out and shouldered to 40o. I set up all of my AI,s using the parent case Head space gauge So that I can hunt with the parent ammo while fire forming.

These rifles will shoot sub 1/2 MOA groups while fire forming with most Factory ammo and if the head space is done correctly it contains the brass without overworking it.

The main advantage of the 40o shoulder is that it extends brass life and improves powder
flame front burn. (Velocity is just a plus to the small cartridges). Also the less body taper Lessons bolt loading.

IMO There is no downside to the 40o shoulder as long as you don't get tricky and modify the other case dimensions beyond SAMME standards.

As I said I have and like both the 7/08 and the 7/08x40o and find amazing performance for hunting and accuracy with both.

PM me if you have more questions.

J E CUSTOM

I've owned & load for 3 different ackleys: 243AI, 6mmAI & 6.5-06AI. Very easy to load for & there were no surprised, I'm sorry for the OP's bad luck.

The 700SA can be chambered for a staggering number of centerfire cartridges from .204 up thru the Lazzeroni Short Magnums (lapua head diamater). For what you want & without going Ackley, I would probably suggest one of these: 6.5 Creed, 260Rem, 6.5x47L or 7mm-08. You'll be able to shoot the dickens out of them w/o rebarreling yearly :)

It's up to you.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.